Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
I have set up a :apple: PowerBook 1400 Series. :) :apple: PowerBook 1400CS. I have a PowerBook 1400C with a built in ethernet. These ancient dinosaurs both work. :eek: :eek: And One of them gets online with Classilla. :D But the PowerBook 1400CS does not have a built in Ethernet. :(

It has PCMCIA PC Card Slots. Are there any Ethernet Adapters that will fit and will work with the PowerBook 1400 Series? :confused: Hopefully I can find one that takes up only one slot, and has an adapter cable. (I have an ancient IBM 600E with PCMCIA PC Card Slots. One has a Wifi Wireless Lan Antenna in one slot, and the other slot has another PC Card which has a port in it and in that port is an adapter cable and on the other end of the adapter cable there is an Ethernet port.... ) :p I would like to find an Ethernet PC Card for the :apple: PowerBook 1400 Series that would take one slot, not two, if possible. :cool:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have set up a :apple: PowerBook 1400 Series. :) :apple: PowerBook 1400CS. I have a PowerBook 1400C with a built in ethernet. These ancient dinosaurs both work. :eek: :eek: And One of them gets online with Classilla. :D But the PowerBook 1400CS does not have a built in Ethernet. :(

It has PCMCIA PC Card Slots. Are there any Ethernet Adapters that will fit and will work with the PowerBook 1400 Series? :confused: Hopefully I can find one that takes up only one slot, and has an adapter cable. (I have an ancient IBM 600E with PCMCIA PC Card Slots. One has a Wifi Wireless Lan Antenna in one slot, and the other slot has another PC Card which has a port in it and in that port is an adapter cable and on the other end of the adapter cable there is an Ethernet port.... ) :p I would like to find an Ethernet PC Card for the :apple: PowerBook 1400 Series that would take one slot, not two, if possible. :cool:

Where does your PB1400C have built-in ethernet? (Thats lucky, as neither of my 2 1400c models dont have it) - There were some ethernet cards, but I havent been able to source any yet (Which is a shame as Id love to get my 1400c/133 and 1400c/166 online).

Strimkind

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
There are a few options and are generally still available.

Global Village made many Compatible cards (just make sure they have the dongle)
Fallaron
Asante

Those are just from going through my drawer

There is also a modified driver site for Linksys EtherLink III cards:

Etherlink II Drivers

There is also wireless options that can be viewed here.

I have the Cisco, Wavelan, and Orinoco cards. They all work great on my 1400! Often you can get them super cheap on ebay

Last edited:

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
To Answer Your Question:

Where does your PB1400C have built-in ethernet? (Thats lucky, as neither of my 2 1400c models dont have it) - There were some ethernet cards, but I havent been able to source any yet (Which is a shame as Id love to get my 1400c/133 and 1400c/166 online).

The 1400C that I have with the built in Ethernet is located on the back of the computer, not far from where the power supply adapter thing goes in. Next to the power supply are two sound ports, and next to that, inside an indent because of the hinged door, is the built in Ethernet connection. :D

The same place on the 1400CS is occupied by some type of other port. It looks similar to some giant sideways USB/FireWire/HDTV connection. :confused:

And also thank you for your help and the link with the information. :p

Strimkind

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2009
The 1400C that I have with the built in Ethernet is located on the back of the computer, not far from where the power supply adapter thing goes in. Next to the power supply are two sound ports, and next to that, inside an indent because of the hinged door, is the built in Ethernet connection. :D

The same place on the 1400CS is occupied by some type of other port. It looks similar to some giant sideways USB/FireWire/HDTV connection. :confused:

Lucky you, I have neither one of those. The ethernet is very hard to find, and the other port you have is the old style DV-14 Port for external video from powerbooks before they went with the standard VGA in the 3400.

Drivers should be fairly easy to find assuming you know the model of the ethernet card (try macintosh garden).

robwe33

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012

And also thank you for your help and the link with the information. :p

To the team,
I am looking for such an internal ethernet card for my Powerbook 1400c/166. If anyone knows of one that is available some direction would be appreciated.

Regards from Sydney, Australia,
Rob

rpfotog

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
I have an ethernet card for PowerBook 1400

I bought a Farallon ethernet adapter for my wife's PowerBook 1400 and I never installed it. The thing is still sealed in the anti-static bag and the box, paperwork and floppy software are in mint condition.

Not sure what it's worth but there seem to be several people looking for these things.

Attachments

• Farallon.JPG
    Farallon.JPG
    713.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Farallon1.JPG
    Farallon1.JPG
    562.9 KB · Views: 389

robwe33

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
I bought a Farallon ethernet adapter for my wife's PowerBook 1400 and I never installed it. The thing is still sealed in the anti-static bag and the box, paperwork and floppy software are in mint condition.

Not sure what it's worth but there seem to be several people looking for these things.

I am certainly looking to still obtain such a piece. If it is still available just let me know.

Regards,
Rob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.