Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
So I am now in my second semester at university. I used to play with XCode 3 and do some basic C++ stuff. I now have XCode 4, however I cannot figure out how to actually run the code once I have it written. It will build "successfully" but not actually run.

How do I get the terminal to open like it used to and run the thing?

I took a semester of Python last semester, I had to use IDLE. Xcode is still something new to me for the most part.

Screen_shot_2011-01-13_at_2.35.27_PM.png

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So I am now in my second semester at university. I used to play with XCode 3 and do some basic C++ stuff. I now have XCode 4, however I cannot figure out how to actually run the code once I have it written. It will build "successfully" but not actually run.

Something that you should learn and take to heart for your future career: Publishing information that you or your company received under NDA can be a severely career limiting move.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Something that you should learn and take to heart for your future career: Publishing information that you or your company received under NDA can be a severely career limiting move.

My guess is that the OP downloaded Xcode 4 from "unofficial" sources and doesn't feel the license agreement is an issue at all.

B

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
My guess is that the OP downloaded Xcode 4 from "unofficial" sources and doesn't feel the license agreement is an issue at all.

B

This could very well be true, either way. I still would like to figure out how to actually run the program lol.

In the screenshot above you can see "Products" and I was able to show in Finder and double click that to run it. I messed around with things though and now apparently there is no Product there.

dantherevelator

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
N.D.A. What's so hard about this? Use apple's developer forums, that's what they're there for.

That aside, why would you want to use a pre-beta IDE when you're obviously, shall we say, less than an expert? How would you know if the problems you're experiencing are due to your bugs or the IDE? Are you a masochist?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
This could very well be true, either way. I still would like to figure out how to actually run the program lol.

In the screenshot above you can see "Products" and I was able to show in Finder and double click that to run it. I messed around with things though and now apparently there is no Product there.

If you have no respect for other's work, why would anyone help you? And maybe you are on the path to the wrong profession if you have no respect for other's work?

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Besides the fact that the original photo you didn't post clearly states "Finished running Hello World Xcode4"

Yes it "runs" it with no errors and that is great news, however; it will not actually run the sucker, it just says it has. Unlike Xcode 3 where build and run actually runs it, this does not seem too. I can run it by looking at the depositories and executing it from the build folder. That is a lot of work though just to run it. Maybe I am just doing something grossly off, maybe it's just that it's a beta. I can live with 3 in the meantime.

It's there in the toolbar. Plain as day! Oh, and set a breakpoint first before running!

What exactly is a breakpoint, yes it "runs" but it does not actually seem too. Not like it does in 3.

If you have no respect for other's work, why would anyone help you? And maybe you are on the path to the wrong profession if you have no respect for other's work?

Lets not take this past what it is and turn it into ethics class. I like having the latest and greatest software, and since I am just starting my programming career for the most part, I would like the best tool I can find.

I am not trying to upset / "disrespect" anything / anyone.
I am using a beta of a FREE application.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Yes it "runs" it with no errors and that is great news, however; it will not actually run the sucker, it just says it has. Unlike Xcode 3 where build and run actually runs it, this does not seem too. I can run it by looking at the depositories and executing it from the build folder. That is a lot of work though just to run it. Maybe I am just doing something grossly off, maybe it's just that it's a beta. I can live with 3 in the meantime.

What exactly is a breakpoint, yes it "runs" but it does not actually seem too. Not like it does in 3.

Lets not take this past what it is and turn it into ethics class. I like having the latest and greatest software, and since I am just starting my programming career for the most part, I would like the best tool I can find.

What makes you think that XCode 4 is the "greatest"? It's beta for a reason, stick with XCode 3, for what you are doing it works flawlessly.

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
Mate! I don't think you're getting it. This product is under a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). You must able entered into this before you downloaded it. You're not allowed to post screen shots of it. You're not allow to "talk" about in open forums like this one. And neither can we.

But it sound like what you're actually wanting is to see the "hello world", the debug output, right? Try exploring all the user-interface, particularly the menus. One of them will work. It will be obvious once you see it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I like having the latest and greatest software, and since I am just starting my programming career for the most part, I would like the best tool I can find.

The best tool is the one you can use effectively, where the documentation and help is easily available and get things done. Right now that is Xcode 3, what all the books, online tutorials, examples etc... are based around.

You are using a beta of a free application that is only officially released to registered developers under NDA, for which documentation and help is available to those self-same registered developers under NDA.

If a registered dev who knows the answer you are looking for gives you the answer they are (EDIT: potentially) violating their NDA and may be putting their status as a registered dev at risk.

That is definitely disrespectful to the agreement as well as the folks you are asking to help you.

I can live with 3 in the meantime.

Either live with 3 and wait for 4 or if you really want to learn under 4 from now, register as a dev and get 4 through the official channels where you will have full access to the documentation and help. It's not like it's by invitation only or to a select group (e.g. WWDC attendees). Once you pay your fee you will get access to the latest/greatest Xcode 4.

B

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Since we have free speech here, and since you are in the "Mac Programming" forum, ethics is a very, very important part of programming and of Mac programming as well. If you came to a job interview at my company, your attitude would definitely keep you from being employed. Our company has a relationship with Apple, and if one of our employees posted screenshots of an application that he or she received under NDA, and Apple found out, that would cause our company very, very significant damage. Apart from that, unethical behaviour cannot be accepted anyway, because we have customers that need to rely on us behaving ethically and that would run away if we couldn't be trusted.

And whether you are in breach of an NDA out of malice / not caring / stupidity makes no difference; I wouldn't even know which one is worse.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
To paraphrase both Superman and 2001, A Space Odyssey - look, up in the toolbar ... it's full of icons!

To become a good programmer you've got to be more than simply curious, you've got to become a responsible explorer. At this point it seems you're neither.

Since it's already there in front of you - explore!

Rubydoppler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
USA
Since we have free speech here, and since you are in the "Mac Programming" forum, ethics is a very, very important part of programming and of Mac programming as well. If you came to a job interview at my company, your attitude would definitely keep you from being employed. Our company has a relationship with Apple, and if one of our employees posted screenshots of an application that he or she received under NDA, and Apple found out, that would cause our company very, very significant damage. Apart from that, unethical behaviour cannot be accepted anyway, because we have customers that need to rely on us behaving ethically and that would run away if we couldn't be trusted.

And whether you are in breach of an NDA out of malice / not caring / stupidity makes no difference; I wouldn't even know which one is worse.

Let's be logical though. I understand ethics is a very important part of programming. However I feel that this is far from unethical.

What I do personally is far removed from what I do at my place of employment. This "attitude" I have would obviously not be one shown, I would dress accordingly and be the nicest most civil person under the sun, like any good interviewee.

Taking this for what it is, is very important. Do not turn it into what you want this to be.

I am a college student playing with a nice beta that is under an NDA. I am not jeopardizing anything.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Speaking of ethics, I find it funny this thread is still open. While a thread where someone was recruiting for a "Major Mac App store developer" or something was closed practically immediately.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Speaking of ethics, I find it funny this thread is still open. While a thread where someone was recruiting for a "Major Mac App store developer" or something was closed practically immediately.

If you think something should be done, report it.

Anyways, it's drifted off topic enough I'm going to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.