Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
emaja
macrumors 68000

Loss of quality converting from FLAC to AIFF?

I have found a few sites that offer FLAC files and might buy from them if there is no loss when converting to AIFF. I use the AX to stream from my MBP and am very happy with the quality I get from the lossless AIFF and ALAC files.

I know both FLAC and AIFF are lossless. When converting a lossy MP3 file to another lossy format you will lose quality. Does the same hold true if going from one lossless format to another?
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:57 PM   #2
justaregularjoe
macrumors 6502

Not sure about AIFF specifically, but ALAC files can be used to create the original, uncompressed WAV files. In most cases, the WAV files constructed from FLAC are bit-to-bit identical to those constructed from ALAC.

However, I had heard from a few audiophiles on the internet that the ALAC codecs built into iTunes are inferior to others. If you are really that paranoid about this, then I suggest either XLD (Mac) or dBPowerAmp (Windows).
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:50 PM   #3
MacMike81
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to MacMike81
The way i understand it is you can go from lossy to lossy with nothing lost...

I regularly convert FLAC to Apple Lossy (.m4a) I have no complaints, i would consider myself a bit of a audiophile...
MacMike81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:00 PM   #4
andymodem
macrumors 6502

Lossless to Lossless conversion does not sacrifice any quality, they will still be bit for bit identical in output.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:09 PM   #5
hollerz
macrumors 6502a

Slightly OT, but which sites have you found? I've been looking or a good place to buy FLAC.
hollerz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:18 PM   #6
emaja
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
Slightly OT, but which sites have you found? I've been looking or a good place to buy FLAC.
So far HDTracks.com and B&W's Society of Sound. HDTracks are also available in AIFF.
emaja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:26 AM   #7
Killyp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaja View Post
Does the same hold true if going from one lossless format to another?
No - you won't lose any data at all when going from one lossless format to another.
Killyp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:36 AM   #8
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaja View Post
I have found a few sites that offer FLAC files and might buy from them if there is no loss when converting to AIFF. I use the AX to stream from my MBP and am very happy with the quality I get from the lossless AIFF and ALAC files.

I know both FLAC and AIFF are lossless. When converting a lossy MP3 file to another lossy format you will lose quality. Does the same hold true if going from one lossless format to another?
That's the whole point of lossless formats: When you convert _anything_ to a lossless format, the result is identical to the source. If you convert a rubbish 128Kbit MP3 to AIFF, you get an AIFF that is _exactly_ the same as the rubbish 128KBit MP3, only a lot bigger. If you convert FLAC to AIFF, you get an AIFF that is identical to the FLAC.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:54 AM   #9
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollerz View Post
I've been looking or a good place to buy FLAC.

If you're into independent quality electronic and alternative music, Boomkat is also worth checking out.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:16 AM   #10
sandman42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMike81 View Post
The way i understand it is you can go from lossy to lossy with nothing lost...
Any time you convert to a format that isn't lossless something (more) gets lost in the process, regardless of what you're converting from. The losses get compounded with repeated iterations.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:03 AM   #11
KeithPratt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaregularjoe View Post
However, I had heard from a few audiophiles on the internet that the ALAC codecs built into iTunes are inferior to others.
Where have you heard this? There's no room for being inferior if it's "lossless".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman42 View Post
Any time you convert to a format that isn't lossless something (more) gets lost in the process, regardless of what you're converting from. The losses get compounded with repeated iterations.
I think MacMike81 meant 'lossless' whenever he wrote 'lossy'.
KeithPratt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:45 PM   #12
macrumors 6502

I do just that, buy FLAC and convert to AIFF or ALAC.

They are perfect bit for bit. Just make sure to convert 16-bit to 16-bit and 24-bit to 24-bit (for studio masters).
173080 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:36 PM   #13
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Does this hold true if you are converting a 96kHz/24bit FLAC file to AIFF or Apple Lossless file? Just want to make sure.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod