Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Ok. I would like my own laptop, and want very much to get a mac.

I have finally settled on two different notebooks.

MacBook Air, and MacBook.

Now I just can't decide which to choose. Here is a list of most of the things that I use with a comnputer.

I mostly use a computer for the internet and saving pictures.
I love writing and I plan to write novels and books.
I charge my iPod
I use my thumbdrive frequently

Could someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?! They are both the same price, becasue if I would get an Air, it would be 11".

GOOD GRIEF! My friend thinks it's all about FEATURES. She says I should get the MacBook because it has a disk drive and she says that the Air is an iPad with a keyboard.

GOSH. I would use the disk drive once maybe?!

HELP ME! HELP ME! HELP ME!

May 8, 2008

Now I just can't decide which to choose. Here is a list of most of the things that I use with a comnputer.

I charge my iPod

Could someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?! They are both the same price, becasue if I would get an Air, it would be 11".

GOOD GRIEF! My friend thinks it's all about FEATURES. She says I should get the MacBook because it has a disk drive and she says that the Air is an iPad with a keyboard.

IMO, a MacBook would be better if it's going to be your sole computer. Also, an 11 inch is too small IMO for prolonged, daily use.

That's what she said.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
IMO, a MacBook would be better if it's going to be your sole computer. Also, an 11 inch is too small IMO for prolonged, daily use.

And the MacBook is a more powerful machine, although the MBA 11" certainly isnt an iPad with a screen - your friend is talking baloney if they think that - (It runs Mac OS X over iOS for a start), Id still get the MacBook.

Mac Composer

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
Besides the Macbook, consider the 13" Macbook Pro. It costs slightly more but it's a superior machine IMHO.

If you want the Air, get a 13". My wife is a novelist, she compared the 11" & the 13" and with the 11" you just don't see very much of a page at a time. She chose the 13" and couldn't be happier with it.

Kachadurian

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan

I charge my iPod

We have a saying in photography "best best camera for the job is the one you have with you." The same goes for the laptop.

You have gotten bad advice so far. The MBA will be faster for many of the things you want to do because of the SSD. The macBook does have a faster processor, but there is more to speed than that.

We have both in our house and the MBA is clearly more responsive for just about everything.

The 11" MBA is 1366x768 pixels and the 13" MB is 1280x800 pixels, about the same screen resolution, so you see just as much of the page. And the MBA has a crisper screen and is better for widescreen movies.

Also, the MBA is so small and light you will take it everywhere.

I've had many, many macs, and the MBA 11" is one of the best. I think destined to be considered a classic.

ReelAction

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
NorCal
The choice is a matter of priorities

Both the MBP and the MBA are good choices, and based upon what you typically do either would work.

MBP pro/cons
- higher storage capacity
- internal optical drive and more ports for I/O, if that is important
- improved computing power for intensive programs (2.4Ghz vs 1.4Ghz MBA at lower end, similar at higher end)
- better battery life
- lower cost for similar performance
MBA pro/cons
- about 2# lighter and more fashionable
- quicker start up and very response
- need an USB optical drive to rip CD's or load s/w from CD's
- limited Storage, but an ext USB HD will allow for more storage, but the same device can be used for Time Machine Back Ups, for either the MBP or MBA

At the end of the day it may be about value and budget, since either can do what you want - good luck............

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London

That's just your opinion - I personally use the MBA 11 inch everyday and find it to be just fine.

@OP You should just go to the Apple store and try them out and see which one you like better. Spec wise, the 11 inch is more than capable to handle anything you throw at it. It will even be snappier than the Macbook, due to it's SSD.

Last edited:

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I recently got a MBA 11, and now never use my MacBook Pro (or older MacBook) any longer. The MBA is so much easier to take with me.

about the same here, although my 15" i5 is connected to a Samsung 23" monitor but now I don't have to take the time to disconnect the monitor, ethernet, Firewire 800 externals etc. and lug that 6lb beast with me on the go...LOL
I take my little 11" Ultimate just about everywhere with me...:D

Nachos

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Lynge, Denmark
It doesn't sound like the OP will be using any processor-heavy programs, so the difference in Processor power might not be an issue. The difference between the HD in macbook and the SSD in the macbook air on the other hand might be a very noticeable one. The MBA really is VERY snappy.

I say go for the macbook air ;)

markhanna

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
Moorhead, MN
Air

I have a MPB 15" and a 13" Air.
The air is with me everywhere I go and it has become my main machine.
The 13 is just the right size and still extremely portable. go with it.

jammingator

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
Got my wife an MBA 13" for Christmas and all I can say is that it is absolutely outstanding! Considering her needs are about the same as those you listed I can confidently say that you will be very pleased if you go that route.

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
I assume the OP is considering the entry level 11 inch MBA as her possible alternative to a Macbook because both are the same price, $999.00. She could not go wrong with either choice. My recommendation, though would be the 11 inch MBA. It is a brand new machine. As such it is likely to hold even more of its resale value than a MB would. Also, the little MBA weighs only 2.3 pounds and, thanks to its flash storage, is likely to seem even faster to the OP than a MB would. Also, with the 11 inch MBA, she would be the object of envy everywhere she goes with it.:)

Drezin

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010
Brazil
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but if you travel much, the Macbook Air will save you some time at the airport because you don't have to take it out of your bag for any of the security checkpoints because it's considered a "small gadget". Read more about it here http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/29/airport-security-loves-macbook-air/

They yelled at me when i didnt remove my 9" Dell from my backpack and i've seen they do the same with iPads and Netbooks in general

Bakari45

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I assume the OP is considering the entry level 11 inch MBA as her possible alternative to a Macbook because both are the same price, $999.00. She could not go wrong with either choice. My recommendation, though would be the 11 inch MBA. It is a brand new machine. As such it is likely to hold even more of its resale value than a MB would. Also, the little MBA weighs only 2.3 pounds and, thanks to its flash storage, is likely to seem even faster to the OP than a MB would. Also, with the 11 inch MBA, she would be the object of envy everywhere she goes with it.:)

x2 based on her intended usage.

marshallbedsaul

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Utah
maybe you should do
macbook pro vs macbook air
but the question at hand I am sure both of them will be good for what you need to do. Maybe consider if your clumsy or how you treat your systems. Maybe a more durable system is better idk. My friend had a macbook air he set it on his table an he accidentally tossed a text but on it cracked the screen. Not saying you will do that, but stuff similar would prob break the system.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
You'll also get more storage and longer battery life with the MacBook Pro. I would go for a MacBook Pro if it's going to be your only computer. To me it's more of a desktop replacement while the MacBook Air is a computer when you're not at home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.