Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
stu00a
macrumors member

Reselling the Verizon iPhone 4.

Hello
I am newbie here and I just wondering if I can resell the verizon's iPhone 4.
I am tied with my family plan, and I bought my Droid X back in July 2010 with one year contract, so I can get the iphone 4 with discounted price on May 2011.
But, since my family plan includes my grandparents line (two lines) which they don't actually use that much and they don't need latest features, so I saw that I can move their upgrade eligibility to mine for discounted price.
So, what I am thinking is.

1. Transfer Upgrade Eligibility to mine from grandma's
2. Pre-Order Iphone 4 on Feb. 3rd 2011 for $199
3. Sell the Iphone 4 right after I receive.
4. Transfer Upgrade Eligibility to mine from grandpa's
5. Buy Another Iphone 4 for $199
6. Sell the Iphone 4 AGAIN after I receive.
7. By the time when MY upgrade is eligible, buy the iphone 4 AGAIN.
8. Sell my Droid X.

So this is my plan.

What do you guys think?

And the big question is that should I activate and unactivate? because when I bought my Droid X, I think I saw that "If you don't activate this phone in 30days, you will have to pay the remainder of Fully Retail Price".

Please comment.
stu00a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

I just transferred my wife's upgrade eligibility to my line so I can get the iPhone 4, so I see your plan.

Hmm. Since I don't think a data plan is required unless you use the phones, your plan might work. But I'm not sure.

I'd go ask this question either in the Verizon section of HoFo, or on the forums at Verizon's website to get some expert opinions.

Note: Googling around, it seems that when you transfer eligibility and then upgrade, the line that you transferred _from_ gets its contract extended two years. Just so you're aware that you'd be extending both grandparents.

PS. Whenever I've done this within my family, then yes I activated then deactivated, without removing any plastic shield etc. But again, not sure you really have to. Others will have far better advice, I'm sure. I just wanted to get the ball rolling.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:03 PM   #3
Nukemkb
macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking maybe that's not such a good idea...For too may reasons to list!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:27 PM   #4
saving107
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu00a View Post
Hello
I am tied with my family plan, and I bought my Droid X back in July 2010 with one year contract, so I can get the iphone 4 with discounted price on May 2011.
But, since my family plan includes my grandparents line (two lines) which they don't actually use that much and they don't need latest features, so I saw that I can move their upgrade eligibility to mine for discounted price.

8. Sell my Droid X.

So this is my plan.

What do you guys think?

And the big question is that should I activate and unactivate? because when I bought my Droid X, I think I saw that "If you don't activate this phone in 30days, you will have to pay the remainder of Fully Retail Price".

Please comment.
People these days always trying to make a quick buck.

saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:49 PM   #5
tnisatard
macrumors 6502

Verizon requires you to pay for a smartphone's data plan for a minimum 6 months
tnisatard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2011, 08:54 PM   #6
possumwater
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu00a View Post
Hello

8. Sell my Droid X.

So this is my plan.

What do you guys think?

Please comment.
Now that's some slick stuff haha.
possumwater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:11 AM   #7
Merzie
macrumors member

Does AT&T do the same thing, tnisatard, cause I was thinking of doing the same thing.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:44 AM   #8
SchuettS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnisatard View Post
Verizon requires you to pay for a smartphone's data plan for a minimum 6 months
Really?! Must be something new they are doing. I got a droid from Verizon and had it for only two months then switched to a palm 650 w blocked data.
SchuettS is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:57 AM   #9
PNutts
macrumors 601

I'm not the search police but take a look in the forums for other people that sold phones. There's a lot of folks looking to take advantage of someone like you and the forum has a few examples.

But I guess the question is what will Verizon "do" when you sell a phone that came discounted with a data plan. The part you left out is that your grandparents will have two Verizon contracts and no phones.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Carlanga
macrumors 603

right now the only people you can sell the phone would be w/ Verizon so I don't think you would make your money back to make it worth your wait.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 01:50 PM   #11
lanulos
macrumors regular

One thing I have read is, if you are going to sell the phone, you have to take it out of the box and activate and then deactivate it before you sell it; the phone comes already registered to your number, and if someone else tries to activate it first, Verizon will think they stole the phone. At least this is what various sellers have said on eBay, warning people not to buy shrink-wrapped Verizon iPhones; the must be de-registered first.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Rodvette
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanulos View Post
One thing I have read is, if you are going to sell the phone, you have to take it out of the box and activate and then deactivate it before you sell it; the phone comes already registered to your number, and if someone else tries to activate it first, Verizon will think they stole the phone. At least this is what various sellers have said on eBay, warning people not to buy shrink-wrapped Verizon iPhones; the must be de-registered first.
QFT I had to follow these steps when I transferred the iphone from my friends account to mine.
Rodvette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:42 PM   #13
Merzie
macrumors member

I picked up an att iphone today. They said that they, too, have the minimum of 6 months. however, I think you can pay it off an unregister it with them. That would be something like $90 (6x15") plus a traditional SIM for whatever phone you use after you get rid of it. Even hanging on the phone for 6 months is no big deal, considering no matter what you can get at least $400 for it on ebay. I'll likely upgrade to iphone 5 or nano "early" by selling this phone and transferring upgrade from family member.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone