Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clickonline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I have a jailbroken/unlocked iphone 3GS running ios 4.2.1 using redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and baseband 06.15. I did a reset to delete all the old data that my wife had on it. I am trying to restore it using itunes but it fails giving error code 1015. I looked at the log and found the errors below. I want to restore the phone to 4.2.1 and can then jailbreak it later. What can i do? I am really concerned that by doing the reset after the unlock I might have frozen the device and would not be able to restore it. I would appreciate any/all advice.

Validating parameters...OK
Opening device path /dev/cu.debug, using initial baud 115200
- Ping failed, trying again, 56 tries left
- Ping failed, trying again, 55 tries left
- Ping failed, trying again, 54 tries left
- Ping failed, trying again, 53 tries left

!! Exception at :0:
- BBUReturnBadArgument(5)/15: Cannot perform an automatic update to a previous version
attempting to dump restore log
writing log file: /mnt1/restore.log

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
You need a custom firmware with the iPad baseband attached to it. Otherwise if you restore officially and use TinyUmbrella or iRec you'll just be in a error loop until you use the custom firmware.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
since you updated to the iPad BB then you can never use vanilla fw anymore, you will have to use custom fw's for the rest of the life of your phone.

clickonline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Thanks for the response. Where/how can i get the custom firmware? Which version would I need? Also, which software I can use to install the custom firmware on the iphone? Are there steps somewhere which I can follow?

I am a Windows user.

Appreciate the response.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.