Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Cliff3
macrumors 65816

Quick review: Monoprice 10x6.25" Graphic Tablet

I have never used a graphics tablet before but I have been wanting to experiment with one for quite some time. My needs are driven by photography, and my primary use would be with the adjustment brush in Lightroom. I am also a Photoshop user and use with that product with retouching and layering/masking tools would be a secondary use. Wacom tablets, even the Bamboo line, are not inexpensive and their prices have deterred me from taking the plunge. I ran across some favorable anecdotal reviews of Monoprice graphics tablets recently. The Monoprice tablets range in price from $19 to $84 with a roughly A5-sized tablet priced at $40. At that price point, the buying decision became a lot easier. I received this tablet last evening: product link.

To give you a sense of its size, here is a thumbnailed photo of it positioned in front of my 30" monitor.

Thumb resize.

The tablet is manufactured by UC Logic and newer drivers than what were packaged with the product are available for download from their web site. Installation was simple, just install the drivers, plug the tablet into a USB port, and install the supplied AAA battery into the pen. The installation routine adds the pen driver to the login items for the current account. The configuration utility is not added as a preference pane but rather as a separate application accessed from the /Applications/PenTabletSetting folder. It permits the configuration of the pen buttons, the pen area on the tablet, hot cells that appear as a row across the top of the pen area, and pressure sensitivity.

I am still learning how to use a tablet. Using it to draw masks with the adjustment brush is much more intuitive than using a mouse and the control is better. I am still getting a feel for using it to manipulate the many sliders in LR's develop panel and it is definitely different than using a mouse. Lifting the pen away from the tablet seems to be the most effective way to disengage the pen from the control that currently has focus. It is different from what I am used to and will require some learning on my part.

I quickly tried it in Photoshop using it to do something simple like signing my name. The brush width was sensitive to pressure, so that aspect of the driver works. Again, with experience I am sure my skills will improve.

The equivalent Wacom tablet is the Bamboo Fun. The Wacom's pen area is a bit smaller that the Monoprice tablet: 8.5x5.4" compared with 10 x 6.25". The Wacom pad comes with some bundled software while the Monoprice pad does not, but the software bundled with the Wacom is not compelling to me. Especially when you factor in the price difference: $169 from Amazon for the Wacom tablet versus $40 for the Monoprice tablet.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:43 PM   #2
jared_kipe
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to jared_kipe
My favorite part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-14 at 4.43.01 PM.png
Views:	554
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	267515  
jared_kipe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Cliff3
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_kipe View Post
My favorite part.
Ha! Affinity marketing at its finest. I am running various ad blockers so I didn't see the ads.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
dyn
macrumors 65816

The only problem with cheap tablets is this: 1x - AAA battery for pen. This makes the pen thick and heavy. Wacom does not use a battery, the tablet feeds the pen (electromagnetic induction). That makes it a lot more comfortable to use. Wacom tablets also seem to perform better, movement seems to be smoother than on cheap tablets in my experience. Another big plus is the support you get with Wacom. If you still have a Graphire 1 tablet and you need a new pen or new nibs you can still get them from Wacom. Most of the cheaper tablets don't have this (you need to buy a new tablet).

As for price, well most "cheap" tablets are somewhere around $20 or $50. The Wacom Bamboo Pen is also around $50~60. It doesn't differ that much since the Bamboo series. And since you can still buy nibs, pen, etc. when the tablet is like 5 years old this puts the Wacom tablets on par imo.
dyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:42 PM   #5
Monoprice
macrumors newbie

Hi Cliff3,

Thanks for the review of our product! We like to here user inputs from time to time so it is much appreciated even if its quick one .

Thank you! I use these tablets myself and I love it .

Tech Support
Monoprice.com
Monoprice is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:39 PM   #6
ankh
macrumors member

Anyone able to install usably with Mt Lion? No luck here, pointer goes to 0.0 upper left corner no matter what. I see the Ubuntu folks wrestled with it and got it working with much effort.
ankh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 02:29 PM   #7
osiodmak
macrumors newbie

Works with Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Downloaded the UC Logic drivers (http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4) it it worked perfectly. I was actually able to use the tablet before the driver install, but the software allows you to configure the pen buttons and tablet quick keys. Since I am not a graphics designer the $40 tablet is perfect for my needs. I agree the Wacom product has it's advantages but you need to weigh your usage of the device against the price. For my screen manipulation, photo editing and minor touch-up tasks, this is working fine.
osiodmak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2014, 01:01 PM   #8
seanoo
macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can send me a private link to the drivers? The website (http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4) appears to be down. On a new machine and can't pull the driver over myself due to data loss.

Thanks a ton if anyone can help out.
-S

PS. I'm on Mavericks if that matters.

Last edited by seanoo; Jul 25, 2014 at 01:55 PM.
seanoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:54 AM   #9
dinosaurdrews
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoo View Post
Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can send me a private link to the drivers? The website (http://www.uc-logic.com/en/index.php?ParentMenuID=4) appears to be down. On a new machine and can't pull the driver over myself due to data loss.

Thanks a ton if anyone can help out.
-S

PS. I'm on Mavericks if that matters.
I was looking for the exact same thing actually, let me know if you find anything please!
dinosaurdrews is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2014, 05:38 PM   #10
ankh
macrumors member

this might be it

http://www.uc-logic.com/demo/support.html

Gave up on their main site, went to the home, got past a 404 somehow, hit this new page with promises of a LCD display touchpad tablet coming sometime in July, lots more links that don't work, finally stumbled onto that page that has a Windows and a couple of OSX drivers that can be downloaded -- newer than anything I've seen.
ankh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #11
compuwar
macrumors 601

Great review. I was looking a couple of months ago, and ended up with a factory refurbished Bamboo Capture off of eBay for about $18 more than the Monoprice. After reading all the Amazon and blog reviews of the Monoprice and generic it's based on, I decided that the price delta would be ok- I'd have gone with the Monprice over a new Bamboo though.

My primary use was to try my hand at digital painting, not to edit photos, and I haven't tried any photo editing with it yet, but for my use, I doubt there'd be much difference between the two.

Paul

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography