Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1
RebeccaL
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Wunderlist

Has anyone tried Wunderlist?

It has been featured in Lifehacker as the best To Do manager for iOS. I wonder how the developers make money as there is no premium version nor ads.


http://www.6wunderkinder.com/wunderlist/

Last edited by RebeccaL; Jan 15, 2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Typo
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:42 AM   #2
JulieBMurphy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Look very simple to use, will try it.. as it is free. thanks
__________________
Happy day!
JulieBMurphy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:22 PM   #3
russell1256
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
I use Easy Note, it's free also.
russell1256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:57 PM   #4
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I have been using Rememberthemilk.

I am considering switching to this due to all the hype. But I am worried about them collecting and selling personal data (there is absolutely no revenue model currently and the app is made by a company not a single developer). Plus the PC version install the Titanium toolkit without a way to uninstall it.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:06 PM   #5
dtblaze
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
evernote
dtblaze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:12 AM   #6
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtblaze View Post
evernote
I use and love Evernote, but a dedicated todo app is quite different an necessary for me.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:21 AM   #7
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
The latest version of Wunderlist is making email registration obligatory.

That looks fishy.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:35 AM   #8
jive turkey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
It's the best free option for syncing tasks to your iphone, IMO. Not very powerful, but it works well at what it does. I'm not sure how it is now, but when I started using the app, there wasn't an email verification process or anything. I have a special email account that I only use for signups so I'm not worried about spam, as it is only checked when needed, but I didn't get any verification email, anyway. You could probably make something up.

It is worth looking at, but you might want to be safe and use a junk email. It isn't the greatest app in the land, but it does fill a need for free.
jive turkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:06 AM   #9
gks
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
It's a free app that will need to make money eventually. So, my guess is that there will be ads or a pro version soon enough.

It's a nice app but very limited. Sure won't be replacing OmniFocus.. but is a nice step above Things due to the ability to sync over the net.
gks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:27 PM   #10
robfern
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: I move a lot. Sorry.
I've just started using it and so far so good. I can't get used to the to do section in iCal. Wished it would work like this app. I need something that will give me a reminder when it is due by such time or day.
robfern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:22 PM   #11
kuebby
macrumors 68000
 
kuebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County
Forget Evernote, Wunderlist is way better as a to-do list. Wunderlist is small so it opens quickly, which is what I really want in a to-do app, and they have an OSX app as well that syncs with the iPhone one.

Evernote definitely has its uses, though now I use Springpad for the same kind of stuff and prefer it. But both have the same problem IMO, they're too loaded down with features so they don't operate fast enough.
__________________
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
2.3 i7 rMBP / 32GB iPhone 5 / 160GB 7G iPod classic / 2G Shuffle
kuebby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:19 PM   #12
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I just cheked that in the latest update they removed the obligatory registration due to complains in the Appstore. Looks like I'm not the only one worried. (I don't post or read reviews on the appstore, too much crap)


I am also using a disposable email address for the registration until these guys Post a clear privacy policy and explain how the make a living. The latest news in their site says they raised €500,000 ($680,850). Incredible for a free app with no ads!


About Evernote vs Wunderlist: They are totally different apps and I think they should not be compared. Evernote is great for note taking and webclipping. It can take text voice or picture notes in multiple notebooks and and convert picture to text. It is great. But it is not a dedicated todo list.

Wunderlist is a dedicated to do app. The best competitor would be RTM which is also a dedicated todo list that also syncs online.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 09:46 AM   #13
Maskusee
macrumors Demi-God
 
Maskusee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaL View Post
About Evernote vs Wunderlist: They are totally different apps and I think they should not be compared. Evernote is great for note taking and webclipping. It can take text voice or picture notes in multiple notebooks and and convert picture to text. It is great. But it is not a dedicated todo list.

+1

I have no idea why Evernote and Wunderlist are being compared.
Sure they both have cloud syncing but thats about the only similarity.
__________________
"i wear a mask for the masks that i meet"
Maskusee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:04 PM   #14
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskusee View Post
+1

I have no idea why Evernote and Wunderlist are being compared.
Sure they both have cloud syncing but thats about the only similarity.
Thanks.

Yes these two apps are on a completely different category. A fitting comparison for Evernote is the recently released Onenote.
Still wondering how Wunderteam makes so much money w. the free app.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 03:26 PM   #15
jive turkey
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
My guess it is brand building. They are making a name for themselves with free software, then will charge for the "next big thing" (as their website calls it) when they release whatever is next.

I know nothing about the company or it's revenue stream, but I figure this free app is all about promoting the brand name.

Edit: Just looked at the website and there is a blog post discussing the possibility of a more feature-rich paid version. Right now it appears all of their money has come from investors.
jive turkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:43 PM   #16
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jive turkey View Post
My guess it is brand building. They are making a name for themselves with free software, then will charge for the "next big thing" (as their website calls it) when they release whatever is next.

I know nothing about the company or it's revenue stream, but I figure this free app is all about promoting the brand name.

Edit: Just looked at the website and there is a blog post discussing the possibility of a more feature-rich paid version. Right now it appears all of their money has come from investors.
Brand recognition, that's similar to the 1 cent cases.

Investors. That makes sense. Still $680,850 is a lot of money to bet on a company that no one knows if is going to succeed or fail. Their next great program Wunderkit sounds similar in features to Google Wave. And Wave even being free failed.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 05:02 PM   #17
kuebby
macrumors 68000
 
kuebby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaL View Post
Investors. That makes sense. Still $680,850 is a lot of money to bet on a company that no one knows if is going to succeed or fail. Their next great program Wunderkit sounds similar in features to Google Wave. And Wave even being free failed.
That's really not that much. I read an article a month or two ago (which I looked for but can't find) that wondered if there was a 2nd "internet bubble" building. It cited case after case of companies getting 2, 3, 5 million dollar investments from "angel investors" that barely have a concept and only have a couple employees.

Case in point, look at Groupon REJECTING Google's offer of $5 billion. That's a ridiculous amount of money for a company that has been valued at more like $2-3 billion at most.
__________________
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
2.3 i7 rMBP / 32GB iPhone 5 / 160GB 7G iPod classic / 2G Shuffle
kuebby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 05:07 AM   #18
RebeccaL
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuebby View Post
That's really not that much. I read an article a month or two ago (which I looked for but can't find) that wondered if there was a 2nd "internet bubble" building. It cited case after case of companies getting 2, 3, 5 million dollar investments from "angel investors" that barely have a concept and only have a couple employees.

Case in point, look at Groupon REJECTING Google's offer of $5 billion. That's a ridiculous amount of money for a company that has been valued at more like $2-3 billion at most.

Interesting. I should write a free App to see if a company gives me at least half a million.


On a serious note, yes it is looking a lot like that internet bubble that burst. Many start up companies with lots of cash to burn...

The more I read about Wunderkit the more it looks like the ill fated Google Wave but payed for instead of free.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Can't log into Wunderlist on Powerbook G4 RedTomato PowerPC Macs 4 Feb 24, 2014 09:30 AM
Wunderlist notifications are sent twice?.... DramaLLama iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 9, 2014 07:19 PM
Any.DO vs Wunderlist 2? DramaLLama iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Jul 9, 2013 12:52 AM
Wunderlist for iPad! tvhaugen iPad Apps 1 Feb 15, 2013 08:01 AM
Wunderlist Starred items at top? 2012Tony2012 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jan 13, 2013 03:23 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC