Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maniia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hey all, I've got an issue with my beloved Cinema :( There's some weird smudge/misscolor in the right side of the screen. Anyways, I'm just gonna say a few thousand words without writing anymore:

Here's a preview:
img0087qu.jpg

These are larger images that shows it better.
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7079/img0089copy.jpg
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/6553/img0093copy.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/9292/img0094copyw.jpg
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2420/img0095copy.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8382/img0096copyx.jpg

Little extra info:
I've tested the screen on 2 computers, just to be sure that it's the monitor. Also, as you can see, it's almost like the color gets a little brighter to the right of the smudge and out to the edge. I noticed it about a week ago when I was looking for a wallpaper, as it's only very visible on some colors, so it might have been there longer, because it's hard to spot when just browsing the web or playing, but it usually gets in the way now, when I'm working in Photoshop, which of course isn't acceptable for a 1.183$ monitor, which it costs in Denmark and it's not even a year old. I hope someone can help me identify the problem, thanks.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I have the same problem with a Dell Display that I have. No idea how it happened or how to fix it (Sorry), but I would like to know...

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I have a 9 year old 1280x1024 NEC IPS display that has a similar looking, but more prominent anomaly near the right edge. When I first noticed it, I thought the CCFL lamp was on the way out. That was five years ago, and except for that one minor flaw, the screen still functions perfectly. Also, for some reason, it's most visible on a blue background.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I've had the exact same issue with my 30" Cinema, on both sides, though. It's a bleeding backlight.

One quick call to Apple and 24 hours later I had a brand new unit on my desk.

If you've got warranty left, just give them a call. They won't repair it (not cost effective) and just send you a new unit. If you don't have any AppleCare left, ask your local AASP how much he'd charge you for a repair/replacement.

Maniia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
I've had the exact same issue with my 30" Cinema, on both sides, though. It's a bleeding backlight.

One quick call to Apple and 24 hours later I had a brand new unit on my desk.

If you've got warranty left, just give them a call. They won't repair it (not cost effective) and just send you a new unit. If you don't have any AppleCare left, ask your local AASP how much he'd charge you for a repair/replacement.

Oh alright, so I guess I should start finding my AppleCare and call the store, as it seems I have to get a new one. Doubt they can do it in 24 hours tho, but I hope they will do it without any issues : )

Thanks for the help and reebzor it would seem like you need to find your warranty too : ( hehe

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Just call them and give them your serial, as the warranty is tied to the machine so I doubt you need to "find" anything.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Hi

I have had an iMac do this, now I have an ACD24" that has done it twice, sent it back had
panel replaced now it has reappeared again, mine is always on the left hand side.

I have never heard of any other display doing this, other than the person here with the Dell.

Can I ask what the Dell model is that has done this ?

Maniia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hi

Still like to know what Dell model this happened to ?

Maybe try and PM him too :)

Also, how long did there go between the times it would happen to your ACD?

Turned mine into the store yesterday and they said they are waiting for spare-parts now. Just hope it wont be long :p

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Maybe try and PM him too :)

Also, how long did there go between the times it would happen to your ACD?

Turned mine into the store yesterday and they said they are waiting for spare-parts now. Just hope it wont be long :p

Hi

My ACD was sent back, a new panel was fitted and within a few months of getting it back it started to build up again.

Last edited:

Maniia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Hi

My ACD was sent back, a new panel was fitted and with a few momnths of getting it back it started to build up again.

Hmm alright, seems like it's not my last visit at the repair-store.. But I hope it :)

karlharrison

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
I too see a smudge on my monitor

Hopefully the attachment will show the smudge. Looks like a return to store.

IMG_1108.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.