Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
canoo90
macrumors newbie

Blackberry Messenger(BBM) FOR IPHONE 4 ???

Hi everyone i wanna download blackberry messenger for iphone 4 Is it possible? i saw a a few youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QE-krT5gI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuoswXon-Y

I think blackberry messenger breakable .after downloadable for iphone 4.

necessary a some to contend
canoo90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
SloneMcG
macrumors newbie

You can add SMS contacts to the blackberry messenger contact list which is what he has done. Notice the lack of "D" and "R" indicators on the blackberry, he's also using the SMS app on the iphone
SloneMcG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:21 PM   #3
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoo90 View Post
Hi everyone i wanna download blackberry messenger for iphone 4 Is it possible? i saw a a few youtube videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3QE-krT5gI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjuoswXon-Y

I think blackberry messenger breakable .after downloadable for iphone 4.
necessary a some to contend
If you believe everything on YouTube, I have a farm with an ocean view in Switzerland to sell you.

HEHE, but all silliness aside, no, there's no BB Messenger for iPhone, but most of the new BlackBerry devices have the new BB Messenger that allows adding a SMS # or e-mail address as a messenger buddy to accommodate those without BB devices. It's not using the BB Messenger PIN-PIN function, it just is trying to compensate for RIM's realization that the world isn't going to BB, it's going away from it :-)
bella92108 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4
Gavernty
macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure whatsapp can talk to blackberrys
Gavernty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
328iGuy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavernty View Post
Yah but they also need to be running Whatsapp as well, it doesnt talk to BBM.
328iGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:27 AM   #6
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, as does AIM, Yahoo IM, GTalk, ICQ, Skype, Fring, blah blah blah, but clearly you're just posting to post, and not actually addressing the OP's question, which was regarding BlackBerry Messenger.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something for the sake of making noise :-)
bella92108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:44 AM   #7
eshroom
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella92108 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, as does AIM, Yahoo IM, GTalk, ICQ, Skype, Fring, blah blah blah, but clearly you're just posting to post, and not actually addressing the OP's question, which was regarding BlackBerry Messenger.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing than to say something for the sake of making noise :-)
I actually think Gavernty's post was very relevant. What's app is widely regarded as the iPhone's answer to BBM and as a bonus, it's cross-platform!
eshroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshroom View Post
I actually think Gavernty's post was very relevant. What's app is widely regarded as the iPhone's answer to BBM and as a bonus, it's cross-platform!
It's no more cross platform than skype or aim or yahoo im or any other messenger, they all have android\iphone\bb clients. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of iPhone users have "what's app"... I'd hardly call that relevant or widely regarded as answer to BBM
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Sometimes it's better to say nothing than trying to argue with others or try to tell them what to do.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:30 PM   #10
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
It's no more cross platform than skype or aim or yahoo im or any other messenger, they all have android\iphone\bb clients. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that less than 1% of iPhone users have "what's app"... I'd hardly call that relevant or widely regarded as answer to BBM
yes and no most IM you need to have usernames, be signed in ect.

whatsapp uses your phone # and it automatically matches your contacts who also have whatsapp to your favorites, and i would say more then 1% of iphone users have whatsap its always in the top 25 paid apps section in the app store
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:43 PM   #11
Gavernty
macrumors 6502

Quote:

A messenger app that messages both iPhones and blackberry is not relevant to the op poster? It's more relevant than your cry baby rant... Grow up please.

BBM is a free service for blackberries to talk to eachother, whatsapp is a 99c app with free service for iPhones to talk to blackberrys

/thread
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:02 AM   #12
CBR900RR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to CBR900RR
I use this before to send blackberry message.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:32 AM   #13
walie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
A messenger app that messages both iPhones and blackberry is not relevant to the op poster? It's more relevant than your cry baby rant... Grow up please.

BBM is a free service for blackberries to talk to eachother, whatsapp is a 99c app with free service for iPhones to talk to blackberrys

/thread
whatsapp need to be installed onto blackberries as well
walie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:54 AM   #14
Barneygumble47
macrumors regular

I use whatsapp on iPhone to message my sister who lives in Germany it's great.

She has BB by the way.
Barneygumble47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:13 PM   #15
bigred7078
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Pot meet Kettle Your hall monitor attitude is less than amusing.
bigred7078 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:55 PM   #16
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

I can't believe blackberry still bothers marketing BBM like its at all impressive in 2011.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:13 PM   #17
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempusfugit View Post
I can't believe blackberry still bothers marketing BBM like its at all impressive in 2011.
It's not, people just like to argue. A "universal" message is a text message, and BB Messenger was from the days where text messages were expensive, and before threaded messaging became commonplace on iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Today BBM is entirely relevant for BB users, but so irrelevant for the rest of us. Having had a blackberry it's a great tool for bb to bb user communication, but the world is no longer dominated by BB users.

I love how people argue for the sake of arguing for points that are obviously invalid. No, Whatsapp is NOT commonplace. It's an app that's been around, few use, and it takes two people working together to establish connection through (ie. you have to make sure the other person knows to buy the app, install it, and manage that it's always running).

Just look at the tons of peer-peer messaging apps out there... none of them are going to gain mainstream adoption. If google\skype can't do it, nobody will. And no, they're not "mainstream" ... how many messages have you sent through either of them vs the built in messaging app in the last month? See. 99.999% of us send messages to domestic destinations (be it US to US, UK to UK, etc), so the built in works for the purpose. For those niche users who need it and want the tradoff of cheap\free international messaging and are wiling to take the hassle of Whatsapp, fine.

PS - Calling anyone who opposes your opinion a "cry baby" won't get you far in life. Just makes you look like a hypocrite to say you can express opposition opinion but others can't.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:29 PM   #18
Gavernty
macrumors 6502

it wasn't because you opposed my opinion, it was because of your uncalled for attitude.

which, by the way, won't get your far in life either, just disliked by many, as noted in this thread.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:31 PM   #19
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
it wasn't because you opposed my opinion, it was because of your uncalled for attitude.

which, by the way, won't get your far in life either, just disliked by many, as noted in this thread.
Yep, and sometimes minority opinions are disliked. It's why the Apple Community is disliked by the 90% of computer users... but I guess by your standards they're right since they all disliking Apple as a majority and it's 10 to 1.

Last edited by bella92108; Jan 16, 2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:32 PM   #20
Leet Apple
macrumors 6502a

If your a BBM Fanatic or your friends all have Blacberries jsut tell them to use

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

All 3 of those are good apps
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:37 PM   #21
bella92108
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leet Apple View Post
If your a BBM Fanatic or your friends all have Blacberries jsut tell them to use

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

Or...

Yahoo
AIM
Facebook Chat
TruPhone
Text+
FreeText
PingChat
TextPro
MSN Messenger
eBuddy
Windows Live Messenger

They ALL do the same thing... allow two people running the client to talk to each other cross-platform.

My only point was that there's no one app that's widely adopted. This week WhatsApp is #1, 30 days ago AIM was #1, August 1, 2010 Yahoo IM was number 1... so the apps come and go like the weather.

Next month there will be a new "most downloaded" because all those who want WhatsApp will have downloaded it and the download popularity will be driven by a different "latest" app.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:28 PM   #22
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leet Apple View Post

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

BBM is one of the thing that make BB to be BB its design for business with all the respect this 3 nice programs will stay for fan,
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:40 PM   #23
AttilaTheHun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not, people just like to argue. A "universal" message is a text message, and BB Messenger was from the days where text messages were expensive, and before threaded messaging became commonplace on iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Today BBM is entirely relevant for BB users, but so irrelevant for the rest of us. Having had a blackberry it's a great tool for bb to bb user communication, but the world is no longer dominated by BB users.

I love how people argue for the sake of arguing for points that are obviously invalid. No, Whatsapp is NOT commonplace. It's an app that's been around, few use, and it takes two people working together to establish connection through (ie. you have to make sure the other person knows to buy the app, install it, and manage that it's always running).

Just look at the tons of peer-peer messaging apps out there... none of them are going to gain mainstream adoption. If google\skype can't do it, nobody will. And no, they're not "mainstream" ... how many messages have you sent through either of them vs the built in messaging app in the last month? See. 99.999% of us send messages to domestic destinations (be it US to US, UK to UK, etc), so the built in works for the purpose. For those niche users who need it and want the tradoff of cheap\free international messaging and are wiling to take the hassle of Whatsapp, fine.

PS - Calling anyone who opposes your opinion a "cry baby" won't get you far in life. Just makes you look like a hypocrite to say you can express opposition opinion but others can't.
forget all the argue about why business use all BB,I am sure they know (me too)
just few questions

1- how much you pay for SMS national and over sea, I bat alot, BB massaging include in you data plain I pay for unlimited international data $64.99. I used my iphone for 2 weeks over sea cost me close to $1000.00
so if you want to use Skype with wifi think twice
AttilaTheHun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:52 PM   #24
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Or...

Yahoo
AIM
Facebook Chat
TruPhone
Text+
FreeText
PingChat
TextPro
MSN Messenger
eBuddy
Windows Live Messenger

They ALL do the same thing... allow two people running the client to talk to each other cross-platform.

My only point was that there's no one app that's widely adopted. This week WhatsApp is #1, 30 days ago AIM was #1, August 1, 2010 Yahoo IM was number 1... so the apps come and go like the weather.

Next month there will be a new "most downloaded" because all those who want WhatsApp will have downloaded it and the download popularity will be driven by a different "latest" app.

most of those apps require a username or some sign up whatsapp just uses your phone #
heisenberg123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:55 PM   #25
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
And a stuck up and negative attitude like yours will sure get you far in life
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks