Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Pete Chambers
macrumors newbie

Need help from Apple fans!

Hi guys

I am currently collecting data as part of my University thesis. I am trying to understand how people interact with the Apple brand and its products via Facebook and Twitter.

I am trying to get my survey seen by Apple communities but I am struggling. I have tried posting my survey on Apple fan pages on Facebook but it quickly gets lost amongst the thousands of other posts and therefore gains little exposure. Posting the link to my survey on this forum and other Apple forums results in the post being deleted for soliciting reasons.

Can anyone tell me somewhere I can post my survey where it can be seen by a large number of Apple fans?

Thanks in advance
Pete Chambers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Chambers View Post
Hi guys

I am currently collecting data as part of my University thesis. I am trying to understand how people interact with the Apple brand and its products via Facebook and Twitter.

I am trying to get my survey seen by Apple communities but I am struggling. I have tried posting my survey on Apple fan pages on Facebook but it quickly gets lost amongst the thousands of other posts and therefore gains little exposure. Posting the link to my survey on this forum and other Apple forums results in the post being deleted for soliciting reasons.

Can anyone tell me somewhere I can post my survey where it can be seen by a large number of Apple fans?

Thanks in advance
Pop down your Apple store when they launch the iPhone 6. You'll have a big queue of people only to happy to answer your survey.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules. Check the rules or ask admin.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/

http://www.kwiksurveys.com
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:04 AM   #4
Pete Chambers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules. Check the rules or ask admin.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/

http://www.kwiksurveys.com
Technically its about 50 questions long, but they are all quick multiple choice questions and in fact only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. I have already designed my survey on surveymonkey.com but the trouble is that advertising my survey on sites like these are against the rules. I posted my survey via surveymonkey.com on here the other day but it was deleted due to soliciting reasons
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #5
maflynn

Quote:
How many questions is it? What about something like the sites below, then advertise it on apple sites like this one if that is not against forum rules.
Surveys here at Macrumors is against the rules.

Quote:
ADVERTISING/SOLICITING

Forum Rules

Your purpose in joining MacRumors or posting should not be to promote, advertise, or otherwise call attention to your site, blog, product, or business. See this page if you want to advertise at MacRumors.
Self-promotion is not fair to our paid advertisers. Forum posts should be free of ads and promotions that benefit the poster. Legitimate recommendations and requests for help are permitted, but in ambiguous circumstances users without a previous forum track record will not be given the benefit of the doubt.
Rules:
3. Soliciting. You may not use the forums to solicit donations, votes, or participants for surveys, contests, or product testing. Employment requests/offers are limited to the Marketplace forum and subject to the Marketplace Rules.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Technically its about 50 questions long, but they are all quick multiple choice questions and in fact only takes between 5 and 10 minutes to complete. I have already designed my survey on surveymonkey.com but the trouble is that advertising my survey on sites like these are against the rules. I posted my survey via surveymonkey.com on here the other day but it was deleted due to soliciting reasons
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Surveys here at Macrumors is against the rules.
Pete, I see your dilemma. What about the Apple forums?
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #7
Pete Chambers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Pete, I see your dilemma. What about the Apple forums?
What do you mean by 'the Apple forums' exactly? I have tried posting on other Apple based forums (AppleInsider, iLounge etc) but again it is against the rules there as well. I am currently waiting to hear back from Apple Support Communities to see if they had any insights. Fingers crossed!
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #8
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
What do you mean by 'the Apple forums' exactly?
Apple Inc. web site > Support > Forums
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #9
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
What do you mean by 'the Apple forums' exactly? I have tried posting on other Apple based forums (AppleInsider, iLounge etc) but again it is against the rules there as well. I am currently waiting to hear back from Apple Support Communities to see if they had any insights. Fingers crossed!
Yes, the Apple Support forums, can you advertise your survey there say in the iPad section? https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Or here? http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/general-discussions/
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #10
Pete Chambers
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Yes, the Apple Support forums, can you advertise your survey there say in the iPad section? https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

Or here? http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/general-discussions/
So i tried the Apple Support forums and unfortunately no luck there either. I decided to just ask their advice about where I can post my survey even before I tried posting the link. My post was deleted for "containing a poll or a petition" even though it didn't. I suspect that because I used the word "survey" several times in my post it was flagged. I have just submitted my post to Apple Support forums again but this time with a little re-wording. Hopefully it won't get deleted this time!
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #11
Roller
macrumors 65816

You might try contacting Ric Ford over at MacInTouch. Use the Talk to MacInTouch link at the top right.

Although Ric's guidelines prohibit "self-promoting or self-profiting posts," he may be willing to put a brief description of your research and a link to your survey if it's noncommercial. You could also try some of the better known Apple-related blogs, like John Gruber's Daring Fireball.
Roller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM   #12
McGiord
macrumors 68040

As with any project you will always have some difficulties that require changing your plan.
Some suggestions are to create your own website with a link to your survey and give some incentives to get a high response rate.
Other approaches could be to reduce the number if questions and still gather the data you need for your analysis.
Or change your approach and gather the dats in chunks so you can use the forums and post one thread at a time with a short survey within the forum to gather the data and discuss the topics.
Other approach is as suggested leverage the next apple event to focus on a specific location.

Can you post the link to your survey or load a PDF with the questions?
I surely monkey you can preview the survey and print it.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #13
Pete Chambers
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your suggestions guys, I will be sure to try them out and see what works best.
Old Today, 06:35 AM   #14
Meister
macrumors Demi-God

I am an fan and I do not use facebook or twitter.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion