Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 23, 2015, 10:07 AM   #1
iMacRW
macrumors newbie

Visiting Silicon Valley (Trip Ideas)

Hey fellow enthusiasts! My partner and I booked an impromptu trip to San Jose for a quick get away this Memorial Day weekend. We just want to relax, try some of the coffee shops in the area and maybe see the outside of the Apple and Google Headquarters. I always dreamed of working in Si Valley, but choices led me to become and Optometrist instead; so after sitting in a dark room asking "1 or 2" it'll be nice to get away.

Anyone live in the area and know any happenings this weekend, or done this trip before and know any cool places to see?

Have a great weekend!

-RYAN
iMacRW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015, 12:37 PM   #2
Celerondon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacRW View Post
Hey fellow enthusiasts! My partner and I booked an impromptu trip to San Jose for a quick get away this Memorial Day weekend. We just want to relax, try some of the coffee shops in the area and maybe see the outside of the Apple and Google Headquarters. I always dreamed of working in Si Valley, but choices led me to become and Optometrist instead; so after sitting in a dark room asking "1 or 2" it'll be nice to get away.

Anyone live in the area and know any happenings this weekend, or done this trip before and know any cool places to see?

Have a great weekend!

-RYAN
Of course the Googleplex in Mountain View is a must see. If you have a "hookup" you will be welcome in the amazing cafeteria and other facilities. Google has a neat "Beta" museum as well. The nearby Computer History Museum (CHM) is fantastic. Budget plenty of time for the CHM. Ike’s sandwich shop and Philz coffee are popular with the locals for good reason. Let us know what you think of Apple. To me their main complex is impressive but not nearly as much fun as Google's.

Last edited by Celerondon; May 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: another typo
Celerondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015, 12:57 PM   #3
bradl
macrumors 68030

If you have the time, hit up the Roaring Camp railroads in Felton it's roughly 25 miles south of Sunnyvale, putting it about a third of the way to Santa Cruz and Monterrey. Wonderful picnic and hiking area there, plus you can ride the rails on normal or narrow gauge engines. Thomas the Tank Engine generally shows up there for the Day Out with Thomas event, which brings a LOT of people in.

If you have more time, head up to Santa Rosa, and see if you can hit the Charles Shultz museum. Charlie Brown and Snoopy. 'nuff said.

Insert typical San Francisco tourist traps here.

If they are open this weekend, you could also visit the San Rafael campus of Guide Dogs for the Blind. They allow tours, and where else would you get the chance to play with, be attacked, and pounced on by yellow, chocolate, and black lab puppies, plus golden retriever puppies, that end up giving the blind back their freedom and mobility?

Finally you could take a trip across the peninsula to near Half Moon Bay and actually see that yes, there is indeed a place called Mavericks.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Celerondon
macrumors 6502

Here are some more Silicon Valley/Bay Area sites:

Stanford University
There is too much to see but you could still try.
One lab building at Stanford even contains a replica of the
Hewlett Packard Garage - The Birthplace of Silicon Valley

The original HP Garage structure still stands at:
367 Addison Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301

Who had a mouse & GUI before the creation of the first Macintosh?
PARC (Palo Alto Research Center)
3333 Coyote Hill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA

The Intel Museum (I have not been here but it looks interesting)
2200 Mission College Boulevard
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Twin Peaks (San Francisco scenic overlook)
Wear warm clothes and good shoes. The peaks are windy and there is a short hike to the prime views offered by the tallest peak. Go early to beat the marine fog that surges in from the coast.

During a recent visit to that area we visited San Francisco several times. The Mission District is full of neat shops and tantalizing eateries.
Celerondon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015, 03:32 AM   #5
eattherich
macrumors 6502

As already mentioned, the Google campus is pretty impressive. When I was recently there I unfortunately didn't have a friend at Google to get me in anywhere but I wandered around the campus and that in and of itself was a great experience. It's crazy how there are so many of those Google bikes just abandoned for employees to pick up and ride around on. My colleagues and I grabbed a few and rode around a little. I was working in Palo Alto and didn't have time to go down to Cupertino but as suggested above it's worth checking out Stanford. Also, if you have a car then I think Half Moon Bay is worth a visit.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion