Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyAlligator

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
My boyfriend/ex installed a keylogger on my Mac.
I only noticed after he'd said some spiteful things I'd said re: him through Facebook chat.

Closer inspection; he'd some some random searches for abstract words a week earlier on it. He'd suspected me of cheating so used some crude words + his name.

Needless to say, I want to get rid of it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Some ideas to start. Close all running apps and do two things for us:

1. Open up System Preferences, take a look under Accounts. If there's only one, select it and see what's listed under the tab of Login Items.

2. With as few apps running as possible, start up Activity Monitor and take a look at what's using CPU under your user name.

Like your forum name, btw. :)

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
I want to get rid of it.

Keylogger or the BF. XD

After you are able to find and remove the keylogger change your admin password and also set it to lock computer after screensaver. Then just make a guest account for him so he don't complain that he wants to get on. With the guest account he can't install anything without your admin password. Or even with a normal account he can't install anything because it requires an admin password.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.