Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjprusk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
Does anyone know any apps that allows controlling an ATV2 from OSX? I've not seen anything from Apple, but it would sure be handy to be able to control an ATV2 while I'm sitting at my Mac.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You can control the iTunes content being playing on the ATV2 while sitting at your Mac using the Mac's iTunes app. You can select movies, TV shows, podcasts, music, iTunes U, etc. content to play and even have playback controls while at your Mac. But you can't actually move around in the interface. The only way to do that is to use Apple's Remote app on an iOS device and use the gestures.

jjprusk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
ATV2 Control from OSX - how to add ATV2

Thanks for the reply. I have an ATV2 working playing a library from an iMac and I can control the ATV2 via my iPad. However, I don't see how to control the ATV2. It does not show up under devices - is there a manual step I need to take here? It automatically shows up in my iPad remote app...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
When you select output in iTunes using the airplay icon in the bottom right corner of the iTunes window, your iTunes continues to function as a playback control regardless of the chosen output destination.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, just click on the Airplay button in the bottom right of iTunes on your Mac. Then you control iTunes as usual. Keyboards still work as usual for playback controls or you can use the controls within iTunes.

jjprusk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
ATV2 Control from OSX - Got it!

Got it all working - thanks to all who helped! So far its pretty impressive how well the control works from various points. I can control via iTunes and see the song playing on the remote app on my iPad. I wonder why the iPad app leaves off the volume control (unless I'm missing it somewhere...).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.