Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

173116-ipadx2mr.jpg

There's been a lot of talk about a "Retina" display for the next generation iPad due from Apple in the coming months, but it hasn't been completely clear what resolution the iPad's "Retina" display would be. Based on Apple's marketing efforts for the original "Retina" display, it would suggest a DPI (dots per inch) greater than 300 to exceed the abilities of the human eye.

A more practical approach would simply be doubling the resolution of the current iPad (1024x768) to 2048x1536 at a 260 DPI. While not quite a "Retina" display, it would follow with Apple's efforts to avoid fragmenting their product line. From a developer's perspective, the doubling of an existing resolution is much easier to support. Apple similarly doubled the iPhone's resolution from 480x320 to 960x640 when they introduced the iPhone 4. Like on the iPhone 4, older apps can will simply run pixel-doubled while native apps will take advantage of the full resolution of the new screens.

Based on some findings by @StroughtonSmith by way of @Xuzz on Twitter, it seems Apple is going to take this pixel-doubled approach again for the iPad 2.

Version 1.1 of Apple's iBooks application seems to have accidentally included some artwork for this hypothetical pixel-doubled iPad. As shown above, the App's bookmark icon included versions for the iPad, the iPhone and the iPhone Retina Display (iPhonex2). It, however, also included one additional version labeled "iPadx2". Sure enough, this is exactly double the resolution version of the iPad icon and is distinct from the other versions. The most likely explanation for this added graphic is plans for a double-resolution iPad. Apple has since removed this extra artwork in subsequent versions of iBooks. Based on this information, and persistent rumors of a higher resolution iPad 2, we believe the next iPad will have a 2048x1536 screen resolution. It would also explain why Apple would have to upgrade the GPU on the new devices to drive this higher resolution.

Article Link: iPad 2 Screen Likely to Have 2048x1536 resolution

Last edited by a moderator:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

well they have tons of room for a bigger battery but man all this power the thing is going to weigh a pound more and Apple usually goes towards thinner and lighter. Perhaps they will drop the 10 hour battery life...10 hours was great but I could probobly have made due with 8

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
my thoughts exactly, that's a lot of pixels. I'm surprised any mobile GPU could power that without sucking or eating massive amounts of battery.

Well, the iPad does have enough room to make the batteries bigger, so that could well be one approach.

I just hope the price doesn't soar up due to the higher resolution screen.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'd love for this to happen, but being realistic, have you seen how expensive monitors of this resolution cost currently?

I'm calling bollocks, but I'd love to be wrong!!

tmt345

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
I'd love for this to happen, but being realistic, have you seen how expensive monitors of this resolution cost currently?

But doesn't Apple have huge returns on iPads? Maybe they will reduce their profit margins in order to prevent new tablet competition from becoming popular.

John Dillinger

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Wow

Sounds insane! :eek:

Just keep doubling every year??

In fact can forthcoming GPU's even support this resolution? Anyone have any details?

Personally think something like 1400x900 is more likely.. and devs will have to deal with some fragmentation..

P.S. as some may have already noted.. the CURRENT iPad's resolution is already wasted when using HSDPA networks in UK (save for Network 3 i believe).. due to their enforced compression of images at the server level. There are work arounds but Apple should really put some muscle behind changing these policies with the networks first.

Last edited:

Xero910

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
As much as I would love one, it doesn't seem feasible. The cost of the screen alone (if they can even make one at that size with that pixel density) can't be cheap. Combine that with the power requirements to display it idling. I can't imagine how much power it would require for gaming. Especially since this is beyond 1080p which no console even supports and they got a damn power cord! I think Apple will have to bite the bullet and offer something completely different and force developers to adjust their apps accordingly.

If they surprise us all and pull it off. I think its pretty obvious I'll be getting one. So much for the iPhone 4's retina setting the standard for years, this screen would trump it in 6-7 months.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

Monitors don't have high resolution not because of cost, but because operating systems don't really support such high DPIs that well (200+). Until operating systems are truly resolution-independent, you'd see some nice looking text, but rather crappy looking images.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You never know. It's Apple. ;)

smartbot

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
That's insane. That means the iPad would have a higher res screen than even the 21" iMac (and near the 27" iMac screen resolution)! I can't wait for 2nd Gen to be released.

PhazonUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I really don't see this happening. 2048x1536 (or whatever it is) would be INSANE on a 10" screen. Not to mention the horsepower needed to run this thing smoothly and the battery power...and weight......and cost.

The number of rumors about it and now this make it seem as if they are really doing it...but I won't believe it until I see Steve announce it.

d Fusion b

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
New Jeresy
Exactly what I was thinking. That screen is going to cost a fortune! :(

Not to mention how thin, and energy conservative it would have to be to at least hold the same battery life and the current iPad..

Though if anyone can do, Apple can.. Lets hope this is true. I'm personally not getting my hopes up, this still sounds far fetched.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I've been very skeptical about a double res-iPad for the good reasons mentioned above, but this seems pretty compelling evidence...

Phazer

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
I'd love to believe this, but that's an insane resolution on a 9.7 inch device! :eek:

Last edited:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
What!!! Is that even possible :p, well I mean isn't it expensive to produce such a high resolution screen?

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

PhazonUK said:
I really don't see this happening. 2048x1536 (or whatever it is) would be INSANE on a 10" screen. Not to mention the horsepower needed to run this thing smoothly and the battery power...and weight......and cost.

The number of rumors about it and now this make it seem as if they are really doing it...but I won't believe it until I see Steve announce it.

Agreed. If it's true though, it'll blow the pants off any tablet coming to challenge the iPad.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I've been very skeptical about a double res-iPad for the good reasons mentioned above, but this seems pretty compelling evidence...

Phazer

Same. This is quite convincing.

Not sure if it's convincing enough to put my first-gen on eBay. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: BTW, higher resolution LCD doesn't require significantly more power or add weight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.