Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpb2000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
If Apple can actually bring iPhoto/iMovie/iTunes/GarageBand in a nicely done iPad format, that would actually be the first thing to make me think about buying an iPad. Actually being able to create content is the biggest potential improvement for me. Editing/tagging/organizing photos would be such a great experience with the touchscreen interface. iMovie would obviously be limited by the hardware of the iPad, but processing a bunch of video just isn't something for the iPad. I honestly haven't even been interested enough to investigate the iPad's music functionality, but being able to edit tags, playlists, etc. would be other nice "creation" activities. And having even some of the functionality of GarageBand on such a portable device would be awesome.

All the rumors about increased screen resolution, SD card slot, USB port, etc are all well and good, but being able to actually edit/create media with the hardware improvements is what I'm excited about.

Merthyrboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
I know what you mean photos defiantly needs a little bit extra. With GarageBand I think they'd go more for like just light editing or doing stuff with loops bit they take up a lot of space so maybe only the editing. With the hardware improvements though that we'll be seeing it should produce some pretty nice software to go with it.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would love to see that. I'm also looking forward to iWork "Mini" on the iPhone.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would love to see that. I'm also looking forward to iWork "Mini" on the iPhone.

I would just like to see iWork actually work on the iPad. Better Excel compatablity. Or MS release office for iPad. Not that watered down crap they have for Windows Mobile, but 'big boy' Excel and Word.

TomCondon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I would just like to see iWork actually work on the iPad. Better Excel compatablity. Or MS release office for iPad. Not that watered down crap they have for Windows Mobile, but 'big boy' Excel and Word.
I'd say as the storage capacity and RAM is increased we will see more desktop programs on the ipad.

SomeRandomUser

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009
I think at some point, at least hopefully, we'll start seeing Apple's ecosystem really take off. At least Lion seems to be pointing in this integrated system.

I would love to see xml being used between multiple devices on their pro apps and ilife. So if you purchase FCS for the desktop, you can create edit points on the ipad to export back to the desktop via syncing, email or MobileMe. That could work for Aperture too. So you're not doing heavy editing, but just simple things like marking pictures for Aperture and edit points for FCS that can be exported by simple xml. This would save an enormous amount of time and even be fun to do on a touch device.

This is the reason why I'm really excited about this ilife rumor. It's a great leaping point to see what is possible. My iphone4 handles editing photos just fine. The imovie works, although clunky in such a small design, it's still amazing to edit on such a tiny device. So I believe we are going to see some sort of ilife in iPad2. Then one could really travel with such a device without needing a laptop to play around with photos and video. That's the one thing that held me back from the original iPad.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I totally see an iLife Lite coming to iPad. It would make me buy in a second. It would be limited though, and there would not be iDVD. (obviously) I would love to have a Lite version of iMovie, to go with my SD Card filled with Home Movies. (note: double rumor hope):D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not an iLife fan, so no ultimately I'm more interested in seeing the iPad2

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'm only interested in a useful iPhoto for iPad. This is the biggest let down of the iPad IMHO. In over a year apple was not able to give the photo app on the iPad any functionality beyond staring at pictures.

I recently switched to Aperture though. Now I hope that there will be a possibility to sync edits/comments/tags/ratings between a new iPad Photo app and Aperture. However Apples track record of limiting the iPad to being a media consumption device makes me think this is highly unlikely.

In any case I will only upgrade my Ipad if the functionality of the device (mainly iOS and Apple apps) gets vastly improved. The hardware is secondary to that. In that sense I'm more interested in Life than in iPad2.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Don't know that I am "more" interested in this, but I do believe that iWork and iLife will both continue to see further refinements and implementation on the iPad, and sooner or later the lines will sufficiently blur between iOS and OSX, and apps and applications, that the distinction will in fact cease to exist.

But if you followed my blog you'd know that already :)

And given the recent rumors of much beefier hardware in ipad2 (to drive that resolution doubled screen...) and I think it's fair to say that we've only scratched the surface of what we'll see on the iPad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.