Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:23 PM   #1
cootersgarage6

Why are Macs better than PC's? And why is Apple getting too hard to use?

So today I have had 5+ problems with itunes 10 today. I am so tired of it.

AND I'm having problems with my mac, and my Ipod!!I am a HUGE apple fan , and couldn't get enough of it, but now it seems to suck, and be going down the toilet.
1.)My Apple TV has trouble connecting to my macbook,
2.)iTunes is giving me a lot of problems,
3.)my mac won't let me rename the house Icon from "apple owner" (the person who had it before me put that. I CAN'T CHAGE IT!,
4.)it keeps telling me my files are duplicates and aren't the original, but that's not true..
5.)and my stepdad's Imac keeps saying "Connection Failed" for no reason, and
6.)I can't set my mac back to restore, like when you first get it, if I don't have the disc.. but even a PC can do this without a disc!!

What's going on with apple lately):

Last edited by Doctor Q; Jul 26, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
cootersgarage6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
3) Your mac is stopping you doing that to protect you. Everything will break if you rename that folder! You can change your name in system preferences/accounts, if you really want to change that folder name, create a new account and copy your stuff over.
6) Not all PC's can do that. Companies like dell partition off several GB of your hard drive with a restore area, which basically contains the contents of your disc. It causes major issues if you ever try and install linux on your old dell...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

What is the ATV doing exactly?
What kind of problems is itunes giving you?
You cannot and do not want to rename that home folder. Where are your restore discs?
What keeps telling you files are duplicates and which files are you copying?
Connection to what?
You need restore discs. Id need my windows disc if I wanted to restore the os as well.

You need to be slightly more specific.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:41 PM   #4
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Your best bet is to take it to an Apple store, explain that you got it 2nd hand, don't have the restore discs, and ask them if they can reinstall the OS for you. It sounds like you just need to wipe and start over.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Aatos.1
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
1) Companies like dell partition off several GB of your hard drive with a restore area, which basically contains the contents of your disc.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
2) It causes major issues if you ever try and install linux on your old dell...
False

If one decides to install Linux, it's very easy. Simply wipe the drive & perform a clean install. Most Linux distro's will offer this option.

Me? I have one of my ThinkPad laptops setup in a dual boot configuration. I'm running three partitions. Windows 7, the 2nd partition with the recovery image, the 3rd with Linux.

Should I have a catastrophic crash in Windows, I can still use the recovery partion that came on the computer. If I have a significant crash in Linux I simply restore it using the install disc I burned. Been using this configuration for a long time with great success.
Aatos.1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
techsrus
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatos.1 View Post
False

If one decides to install Linux, it's very easy. Simply wipe the drive & perform a clean install. Most Linux distro's will offer this option.

Me? I have one of my ThinkPad laptops setup in a dual boot configuration. I'm running three partitions. Windows 7, the 2nd partition with the recovery image, the 3rd with Linux.

Should I have a catastrophic crash in Windows, I can still use the recovery partion that came on the computer. If I have a significant crash in Linux I simply restore it using the install disc I burned. Been using this configuration for a long time with great success.
plus linux is wide open and we can make it do what we want it to do how we want it to do it

there is smart and there is iphone smart. apple products dictate what the user does and how. from what i have seen from windows 8, it is pretty much doing the same thing. i love linux <3 so powerful and hassle free
techsrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:22 AM   #7
g4 powerbookboy
macrumors regular

Umm, the APPLE way is the only way and it is 100% true!

Apples rock!
g4 powerbookboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Tags
apple, imac, iphone, snow leopard