Can the 3G iPad use GPS without 3G data? - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 1, 2012, 09:38 AM   #26
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerman98 View Post
I have actually heard that if you use a Pocket WiFi hotspot system it will actually connect to the GPS and the function will work. This feature will also work with the personal hotspot feature on the iPhone and iPad 3G.
Sorry, I'm not clear on what you're saying exactly. You mean you can have it access wifi for map programs that need data connections, but still use the GPS? Yep, that should work.

But what's awesome is you DON'T need a data connection to use GPS on the iPad.

I've been using TomTom's software for half a year now (or more) and really love it. It's well done, actually works, and of course doesn't need data (it does provide map updates when you're connected, but the rest of the time no data is needed).

In fact, I've NEVER signed up for data on my iPad, but would never buy one without the cell phone connection just for GPS! It's a really cool feature.
Wolfpup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2012, 10:44 AM   #27
Beezzy
macrumors 6502

I have the At&t LTE iPad and Ive used it without the data active. One of the main reasons I got a 4G model was for GPS. Me and my friends are always going somewhere new (We get bored with doing the same things) but we are horrible with directions, so alot of the time, when we carpool, on person holds my ipad and uses it as a GPS, I love the feature.
Beezzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 12:21 AM   #28
Gamerman98
macrumors newbie

Post Hotspots Continued....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
Sorry, I'm not clear on what you're saying exactly. You mean you can have it access wifi for map programs that need data connections, but still use the GPS? Yep, that should work.

But what's awesome is you DON'T need a data connection to use GPS on the iPad.

I've been using TomTom's software for half a year now (or more) and really love it. It's well done, actually works, and of course doesn't need data (it does provide map updates when you're connected, but the rest of the time no data is needed).

In fact, I've NEVER signed up for data on my iPad, but would never buy one without the cell phone connection just for GPS! It's a really cool feature.
I think that the Pocket will use cell tower location and send that through the WiFi to the iPad. For the iPhone, it's GPS information wil also be sent through its hotspot to the iPad.
Gamerman98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I think that the Pocket will use cell tower location and send that through the WiFi to the iPad. For the iPhone, it's GPS information wil also be sent through its hotspot to the iPad.
Has anyone tried that? I wouldn't think that would work, but of course the iPad with GPS doesn't need GPS data from anything else (or a data connection at all).
Old May 2, 2012, 04:06 PM   #30
Gamerman98
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpup View Post
Has anyone tried that? I wouldn't think that would work, but of course the iPad with GPS doesn't need GPS data from anything else (or a data connection at all).
I think this might help:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/18/does-...fi-only-ipads/
Gamerman98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 04:45 PM   #31
Wolfpup
macrumors 68020

Quote:
That's very cool that these cell phone hot spots pass GPS data, but it's worth noting that it's FAR FAR FAR FAR cheaper to use get an iPad that already has GPS if you're not already paying for a hotspot for some other reason.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:10 PM   #32
Sandoons
macrumors newbie

Try Waze it's a great GPS and it's free. Cheers!
Sandoons is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad