Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffiee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Hi Guys,

Currently for my home entertainment setup i have an old core 2 Mac Mini 1.8Ghz with some large usb hard drives containing thousands of video's and films on them of varied formats (XVID, MKV, MPEG etc...).
Mac mini is connected to the HDTV via HDMI audio output goes to the surround sound system and I'm generally controlling the mac mini with my Ipad using VNC as it's quicker for me.

The system is getting a bit old now and i'm finding the new advertised features of the Apple TV 2 quite compelling such as this airvideo.
Im planning on buying myself a 2TB NAS Storage device for our wireless network such as:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buffalo-Lin...8T56/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295200057&sr=8-2
This will then house all of our downloaded films and videos on it so they're in an easily accessable place,

I was wondering is it worth me buying an Apple TV 2 with the idea in mind of connecting to the NAS drive on the network and being able to play all our files? are there any downfalls?

Thanks,

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I couldnt recommend the ATV enough....especially the new version even with its short comings.

However, unless your prepared to either:

1) Jailbreak the ATV to accept the various file formats you've got

or

2) Convert all those various files into a standard format, like m4v

look for a different solution, or stick with the mini.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Stick with the mini, iTunes is suppose to support AirPlay soon from any device, just hang tight and you will be able to do all you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.