Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:29 AM   #1
MoodyM
macrumors 6502

iPhone 4 constantly rebooting, won't stay on long enough to restore

My iPhone 4 (4.1 firmware) has started rebooting constantly, never getting past the Apple logo.

Sometimes the "connect to iTunes" logo comes up, and plugging it into the PC tells me iTunes has found an iPhone in Recovery mode, but I can't get it to stay on long enough to Restore, it reboots all the time.

I thought about trying DFU mode, but I don't know how to get it into DFU mode when it's constantly rebooting.

Help appreciated.
MoodyM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:38 AM   #2
polishmacuser
macrumors 6502a

hold the sleep/wake button and home button for 10 seconds then release the sleep/wake button but keep holding the home button until itunes recognizes its in "recovery mode"(dfu). The screen wont show anything on the iphone, but iTunes will recognize it.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:29 AM   #3
MoodyM
macrumors 6502

Thanks, yeah, I knew that was how to get it into DFU mode, but I couldn't, because during the "hold for 10 seconds", the phone would reboot.

I eventually got it into DFU mode (I knew because Windows said it found new hardware "Apple iPhone (DFU mode)", and the screen was black).

During the 15 minutes it took in iTunes to download the 4.2.1 update, the phone didn't reboot at all, so I though "great".

I did the Restore, and everything went as it should during a Restore (white progress bar on iPhone, iTunes saying the phone had been successfully restored at the end), but once it was done the iPhone rebooted and went back into the constant rebooting problem.

Any more ideas?
MoodyM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:33 AM   #4
vachargerfan
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds like you have a hardware problem. You will need to get apple to look at it
vachargerfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:35 AM   #5
polishmacuser
macrumors 6502a

ya if you restored it and its still causing this, theres something else at hand here. You can try restoring again?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:39 AM   #6
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Sorry to hear about your problem. But if a DFU won't fix it then.....
Sounds like a trip to the Apple store is due.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:53 AM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68040

OP, you are leaving out some key details:

1. Are you running a jailbroken firmware?
2. Are you trying to restore to 4.1 without shsh backup?

If you are using the word DFU...all signs are pointing towards you are running a jailbroken 4.1 version of iOS. It could be corrupted and unless you backed it up, you will need to restore to 4.2.1 and lose your jailbreak.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:27 AM   #8
vachargerfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
OP, you are leaving out some key details:

1. Are you running a jailbroken firmware?
2. Are you trying to restore to 4.1 without shsh backup?

If you are using the word DFU...all signs are pointing towards you are running a jailbroken 4.1 version of iOS. It could be corrupted and unless you backed it up, you will need to restore to 4.2.1 and lose your jailbreak.
His other post says he downloaded 4.2.1 and restored it. He has a hardware problem with the phone. Should be able to get it swapped out at the Apple store
vachargerfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone