Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Spaces on Mac OS X?

• Yes, I find this feature to be very useful

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • No, it is too complicated or I don't find it that much useful

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • What is that?

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
The title says it all. Do you use Spaces? Please post here how many Spaces you use and how the feature works (or not) for you.

I have 9 virtual desktops configured and I love it..

Last edited:

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use 6.

#6 is for a full screen windows xp VM
#5 is Xcode
#4 is Photoshop/word processing/web development
#3 is email
#2 web browsing
#1 consists of stickies, text edit, and terminal

My main problem is finding a set of shortcuts that don't interfere with other programs

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I used to when i had a mighty mouse. I could squeeze the mouse and activate Spaces but now with the magic mouse i cant do that. So i dont use it anymore. If it was effortlessly available then i would as its a v good feature but finding and reaching for buttons on your keyboard kind of negates the main purpose of spaces and thats efficiency. By the time you have found the button, pressed it and spaces activated you could of found the window you want in the dock with a click of a mouse. The magic mouse needs more gestures support.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I use it and have it configured as a button on my mouse too.

1. Safari
2. Mail
3. iTunes
4. iMovie
5. Adobe Dreamweaver CS4
6. Gimp

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
All the time. I have my e-mail in one space, web browser in another, etc. Makes for a much cleaner working environment when all your distracting crap is hidden away in another space.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
I didn't use it on Solaris 20 years ago, and still find no need for it.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Yes, I use 3 spaces. One for IM, TV/videos and working, one for browsers, mail and working, and one for VMware.

I use both Magic Mouse swipes and keyboard shortcuts for switching between spaces. I never go into the actual Spaces view but directly switch from one space to the other.

Spaces was one of the two things I was most excited about when Leopard came out, the other being QuickLook.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
At work I do.

One space for my OS X stuff (Lotus Notes, Firefox, Remote Desktop, Office stuff), the other space for a VMWare Fusion XP machine (running my Windows-only tools full-screen).

I have Exposé setup so I can quickly switch Spaces by mousing to the top-right corner.

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
I use it all the time and have it set at 8. In fact, I even put Spaces on the Dock in place of Dashboard as it can be awkward to do Fn+F8 without using both hands unless you are using a large keyboard. I also set iTunes to run in 5 so that it doesn't pop up when I connect my iPod touch. 6 is littered with Sticky notes. 7 is a full screen for Activity Monitor. 8 is littered with Terminal windows. 1-4 are used more for combinations of related tasks throughout multiple programs.

Now, I wouldn't say that Spaces is essential, but it is really helpful, especially on systems with limited screens. You might not ever need it if you have a 27" monitor, though.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
My computer usage is very basic (just Safari, Adium, iTunes, Office and a Photoshop here and there) so I don't find much need for spaces. If I'm running a VM, then I often put it in its own virtual desktop so my main desktop stays clear.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I use twelve Spaces, three rows with four columns.
Top row is internet and system, middle row is digital content creation (DCC) with editing and image manipulation applications, and the bottom row is for entertainment and text editing.

Mactrillionaire

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2010
I am able to keep things pretty simple with my normal usage and even sound recording. Have never found much use for Spaces.
Spaces is more intended for technical users and/or professional settings. I wouldn't expect the casual user who is just doing a basic task or two to really find it necessary or even helpful. It really shines though when you are running many programs at the same time for a common related task.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I use 9 Spaces. The first one is for Internet apps, the second for PIM applications, the third for iTunes and Aperture, the fourth for other iLife apps and Premiere. The fifth is for productivity (Office and iWork), the sixth space is for Outlook (work email), the seventh is for utilities like Path Finder, Toast, Handbrake and 1Password. The eighth space is for VMWare and the ninth for remote desktops.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I only use 2 spaces. I have become so accustomed to using exposé that I use just use one space for things Im currently working on, and space 2 for things I have running in the background doing their own thing.

Still, even just 2 spaces has made me far more productive than before.

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Three. Used to have four in two dimensions but I find that confusing at times if you use the arrow keys to navigate.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'm somewhat surprised by some saying that it's hard to set up... I find it's quite easy.

#1 is Mac
#2 is Windows XP (Parallels) in full screen - my computer essentially becomes a PC when I select this space
#3 is a remote desktop for my headless Mac Mini server, also in full screen

Each environment gets its own full screen to play with.

Works great. I switch with a Control and right/left arrow keyboard combo which has no meaning for any application or other space so there's never any conflict.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
#1 is my main "work" window.

#2 is typically Entourage in full-screen.

#3 is iTunes and TweetDeck.

When I run a VM through Fusion, that's on #4, but that's rare.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It's one of the standard System Preferences for the mouse.

Ah, I get it. I read Magic Mouse instead of Mighty Mouse, which I also set to Spaces and Exposé with its buttons.

I thought your were talking about the Magic Mouse and even prepared this until I realised my hiccup.
33tp2sy.png

Yakob

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Yep i use 4 and i use expose in the bottom left corner activate them... makes it super fast to switch between screens with the flick of the mouse.

Not having spaces is probably the single biggest thing that drives me nuts when working on a windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.