Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Hello MacRumors,

I managed to drop my phone briefly in some snow this morning, this has happened in the past before with no issues, but today was different. Now my top speaker (near the front-camera of the iPhone 4) does not work. Every other speaker is working fine (the one at the bottom, as well as headphones).

Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

TLDR; It's an iPhone 4, dropped in the snow for a couple seconds, top speaker doesn't work.

Thanks!

johnoporritt

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Hello MacRumors,

I managed to drop my phone briefly in some snow this morning, this has happened in the past before with no issues, but today was different. Now my top speaker (near the front-camera of the iPhone 4) does not work. Every other speaker is working fine (the one at the bottom, as well as headphones).

Anybody have any ideas as to what I can do to fix this?

TLDR; It's an iPhone 4, dropped in the snow for a couple seconds, top speaker doesn't work.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the small hole at the top of your phone (not the headphone port) because if you are it is a microphone not a speaker

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Are you talking about the small hole at the top of your phone (not the headphone port) because if you are it is a microphone not a speaker

No, the speaker, right above the screen, next to the camera

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Are you talking about the ear speaker? The ones that lets you hear others when you call them right?
The snow/water probably damaged it and it shorted out.
You gotta be more carefull with electronics and try to keep them away from snow, water or any kind of moisture.
Bring it to Apple and see if they can help you out.

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
The phone is working now with that speaker, maybe it just needed time to dry? Phew this takes a load off my chest!

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
There is only one "speaker" on the iPhone and it is located on the bottom of the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.