Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:24 PM   #1
darthtroll
macrumors newbie

Can I override documented private methods?

Here's a private method of UISearchDisplayController. I want to subclass this class and override a private method. I think I'm in the clear with what I want to do, but I just want to double-check...

- (void)setActiveBOOL)visible animatedBOOL)animated is documented at http://developer.apple.com/library/i...Reference.html.

Will my app be rejected if I override this method?

Darthtroll
darthtroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2
dejo

What makes you think that method is private? Seems awfully public to me, given that it's published in the class reference.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
darthtroll
macrumors newbie

Whoops...you're 100% right. I found an article talking about it and it had mentioned it was a private method. It must have been a typo. I should have been convinced otherwise after reading the documentation but I blame sleep deprivation!

Thanks again dejo.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:32 AM   #4
robbieduncan

As an answer to the generic question though I would say it's highly undesirable to do so for a couple of reasons:

1) Apple may choose to make the method public in future
2) Apple will, most likely, reject your app for using private methods as they scan for the method name
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
darthtroll
macrumors newbie

Thanks robbieduncan, that was the general feeling I was getting. Fortunately for me that the method I needed was actually public, because there is no other way to do what I wanted to do.

Thanks both of you,
Darthtroll

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming