Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmubronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Is it possible to stream my desktop to the Apple TV pod to display on my TV?

If not, would there be an alternative solution and has all the capabilities (if not, most) of Apple TV?

New here, but very technical and background with electronics.

Thanks in advance!

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
I don't think so, but there are supposed to be several additions to Airplay with iOS 4.3, (currently in beta), so, maybe!

wmubronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
thanks for the replies

thanks for the replies.

After my post, I was reading some threads about the new iOS for the ATV, so I might be in luck. I guess patiently wait for it, since that seems to be my only drawback right now with this system...

There is a discontinued Netgear wireless media system, that I believe might perform the trick I need it to, but it's $190 for that, a whole $90 more than ATV.

Netgear EVA700 Digital Multimedia Receiver. Maybe it does not stream my desktop.... anyone?!?

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I really hope we can use the atv to stream our desktop to the tv with the new ios, but when the apple tv 2 came out Steve Jobs said that people are not looking to use there tv as a screen for there computer, they are looking to use the tv for media. This is not a direct quote. That is why you can't put your desktop on your tv screen. Plus apple wants to continue to sell there nice flat screens to the paying customers. I can see this as a jb app.

wmubronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
I really hope we can use the atv to stream our desktop to the tv with the new ios, but when the apple tv 2 came out Steve Jobs said that people are not looking to use there tv as a screen for there computer, they are looking to use the tv for media. This is not a direct quote. That is why you can't put your desktop on your tv screen. Plus apple wants to continue to sell there nice flat screens to the paying customers. I can see this as a jb app.

Very true, I think you may be on the right trail, and I definitely would hope there is a jailbreak app for it.......

any other thoughts guys?

aussiedj

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
Brisbane
Is it possible to stream my desktop to the Apple TV pod to display on my TV?

If not, would there be an alternative solution and has all the capabilities (if not, most) of Apple TV?

New here, but very technical and background with electronics.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I can suggest is getting a Mac Mini - which come with HDMI out. This would allow you to run anything you like in what ever format through your TV. I guess you could even remote desktop from it to your current mac.

But obviously it's going to be a little dearer than the apple tv, but a lot more powerful.

It's just a idea though.

wmubronco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
The only thing I can suggest is getting a Mac Mini - which come with HDMI out. This would allow you to run anything you like in what ever format through your TV. I guess you could even remote desktop from it to your current mac.

But obviously it's going to be a little dearer than the apple tv, but a lot more powerful.

It's just a idea though.

Thanks for the idea. I'm currently don't have a mac, only PC.

cuestakid

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2006
San Fran
I have started wondering something-

we know that Lion is slated for release this summer (my money is at WWDC, which is usually around June but occasionally in August). One new feature will be full screen apps.I wonder if we will see a release of iOS for Apple TV that allows for full desktop Airplay-that is you can send whatever is on your screen to your TV-essentially Apple's version of WiDi. While there is no practical need to see your twitter feed on a 52 HDTV, there is something to browsing the web with it (Hulu, Pandora,ect) and dislaying Apps(Plex, Boxee, Blu-ray via VLC).

Just my two cents

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
All this does is stream a video, not the entire desktop of the computer ? Or did I miss something? :confused:
It's meant for media streaming. Mostly Video. Like iTunes movies, Netflix, Youtube, etc.

But to answer your original question, I've seen apps that allow your iDevice (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) to serve as an extra display for your computer.
Being that the aTV2 uses the iOS operating system, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to download it and install it after you jailbreak the thing.
There are apps currently being developed for jailbroken aTV2s that seem really promising, like Plex and AirFlick. Plex, for example, allows you to stream pretty much any video format to your aTV. Try to do some research into those.
However, I think he most sensible solution would be a mac mini connected do your TV, that you could remotely control with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, or from another mac (maybe PCs too) via Screen Sharing.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.