Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:24 PM   #1
bmorris
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I wanted to easily batch convert some Mkv files, about 150, to Apple TV mp4's. I love the Handbrake preset but I can only add one file at a time to the batch list. And unfortunately Compressor doesn't accept mkv's. Is there an easier solution?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

HandbrakeCLI is your friend here. I will post my script for you. It is so easy it is sick.

EDIT: Okay here it is. Unzip, and put the file called convert into the folder with the mkv's. Then open terminal and type:

Code:
cd /path/to/mkv's
convert
It will convert every file one after another. After a successful conversion it will rename the originals with a .delete suffix. Also after each conversion it will printout how far along it is with converting them all.

EDIT: You need to have HandbrakeCLI installed to /usr/bin/ to use this script. Otherwise, open the script in a text editor and edit the path to handbrake variable at the top of the script. It is easy to see.
Attached Files
File Type: zip convert.zip (1.9 KB, 524 views)

Last edited by Dalton63841; Jan 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Dalton63841 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:51 AM   #3
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
The new version of HandBrake supports adding multiple files at a time.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
JeffLebowski41
macrumors regular

if this is for an appletv2, you likely don't even have to re-encode. You can use something like mkvtools to batch convert mkv to apple tv friendly mp4's. Some people report issues but I haven't run into any 720p rips that haven't been playable on the appletv2, and it only takes a few minutes to repackage rather than several hour re-encode. You'll need to purchase mkvtools to get access to the batch function, but I think it's only $5. There's a trial version that you can grab to try out.
JeffLebowski41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 03:41 PM   #5
reel2reel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
The new version of HandBrake supports adding multiple files at a time.
Really...How?
reel2reel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:48 AM   #6
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLebowski41 View Post
if this is for an appletv2, you likely don't even have to re-encode. You can use something like mkvtools to batch convert mkv to apple tv friendly mp4's. Some people report issues but I haven't run into any 720p rips that haven't been playable on the appletv2, and it only takes a few minutes to repackage rather than several hour re-encode. You'll need to purchase mkvtools to get access to the batch function, but I think it's only $5. There's a trial version that you can grab to try out.
Is MKVTools the correct program or is it MP4Tools since the end result desired are MP4 files?
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store