Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Trevor90
macrumors newbie

Arrow IPHONE4 strange memory usage in "app"

Hi all,i'm new here

I got a problem,when i connect my iphone 4 to itunes i can see that memory usage in the voice "APP" is 2,8GB" but i haven't got 2,8gb apps...
i have 1,3gb instead..

2,8-1,3=1,5gb that i don't know how is it...

is it a problem that need restore or is this normal?

sorry for my english and thanks all!i love this forum!
Trevor90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:35 AM   #2
seajay96
macrumors 6502

I think I understand your question....you have loaded 1.3Gb of Apps on your iPhone but in iTunes it shows 2.8Gb leaving 1.5Gb unaccounted for?

I'm going to have to guess that you came to the 1.3Gb number by adding up the reported sizes of all the apps you have loaded? If that is the case, the other 1.5Gb is probably used inside of the apps for data storage. Do you have .pdf files or other documents? Current states of games? etc?

If you still think there is something not right, do a reset on your iPhone and see if that clears it up. If not, then it's probably something like I mentioned above.

EDIT: To be clear, I mean a reset, not a restore...hold the top button and the home button together until the apple logo appears and the iPhone restarts.
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Trevor90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay96 View Post
I think I understand your question....you have loaded 1.3Gb of Apps on your iPhone but in iTunes it shows 2.8Gb leaving 1.5Gb unaccounted for?

I'm going to have to guess that you came to the 1.3Gb number by adding up the reported sizes of all the apps you have loaded? If that is the case, the other 1.5Gb is probably used inside of the apps for data storage. Do you have .pdf files or other documents? Current states of games? etc?

If you still think there is something not right, do a reset on your iPhone and see if that clears it up. If not, then it's probably something like I mentioned above.

EDIT: To be clear, I mean a reset, not a restore...hold the top button and the home button together until the apple logo appears and the iPhone restarts.
ok i will try a reset...
anywhere it's strage that 1,5 gb are used by the apps...

edit:i have done the reset but i have still 2,8gb gb used by apps instead of 1.3...
maybe i can try deleting some apps and see what happens?

Last edited by Trevor90; Jan 18, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:45 AM   #4
seajay96
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor90 View Post
ok i will try a reset...
anywhere it's strage that 1,5 gb are used by the apps...
Not really, I have more than 7Gb taken by Apps, but that includes books, pdfs, offline maps, etc...
seajay96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Trevor90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay96 View Post
Not really, I have more than 7Gb taken by Apps, but that includes books, pdfs, offline maps, etc...
i don't have any video or pdf loaded in the apps..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 06:46 AM   #6
sammich
macrumors 601

App sizes reported in iTunes are the installer sizes. Once it's installed on your iDevice, it's uncompressed and takes up more space. Yes, double the space extra isn't unusual.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:00 AM   #7
Trevor90
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
App sizes reported in iTunes are the installer sizes. Once it's installed on your iDevice, it's uncompressed and takes up more space. Yes, double the space extra isn't unusual.
maybe what you are saying it's true but in user/music/itunes (windows vista) the space is 1,36GB...i got 78 app..only let's golf 2 is very big..500-600mb..
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:21 AM   #8
sammich
macrumors 601

What I'm saying is true. Once installed apps take up more room. Twice 1.36 is 2.72. Doesn't matter how big individual apps are.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting