Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
There is a free app called AirView that came out today - it turns your iOS device into an AirPlay client. I tried streaming a random movie from desktop iTunes to my iPhone - works great. You can also stream video from one iOS device to another.

Go grab it quick.. Something tells me Apple may pull this one.

SpaceEdge

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I was able to download the app and tried to play a tv show in iTunes and have it play on my iPhone4 (iOS4.2) and I can't get it to work.

It just shows this of my iPhone (see screenshot)

And this on my Mac in iTunes i get the option to choose my iPhone and nothing plays.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• nVg2g.png
    nVg2g.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 160

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I believe that it won't play files with DRM, that is what some of the reviews are saying. I downloaded this but I haven't tried it out yet.

SpaceEdge

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I believe that it won't play files with DRM, that is what some of the reviews are saying. I downloaded this but I haven't tried it out yet.

You are right I tried playing a video that I converted myself and it played with no problems but trying to play a movie or tv show that I downloaded from the Apple store didn't work.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
There is a free app called AirView that came out today - it turns your iOS device into an AirPlay client. I tried streaming a random movie from desktop iTunes to my iPhone - works great. You can also stream video from one iOS device to another.

Go grab it quick.. Something tells me Apple may pull this one.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't have an Apple TV or anything, but I thought that when you switch to airplay the video you are viewing is supposed to pick up where you were at. When I switch the video to my iPad, it just starts over.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
If you are running on a Mac you can use Mac OS X's web sharing to stream videos from your Mac to any iOS device. This also works for protected content (i.e. iTunes Fairplay DRM) and since it is a pull-type technique you don't need to start the stream from your Mac, you just select from a content list on the iOS device and open the file for playback. Works from within Safari on the iOS device so you don't need to add any third-party utility to make it work, you only need to enable web sharing on the Mac and then create some UNIX links to the directories that contain the content.

Here is a write up on this technique, I've been using it for months and it works VERY well.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/stream_videos_and_music_from_your_mac_to_your_iphone_or_ipad/

SpaceEdge

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
If you are running on a Mac you can use Mac OS X's web sharing to stream videos from your Mac to any iOS device. This also works for protected content (i.e. iTunes Fairplay DRM) and since it is a pull-type technique you don't need to start the stream from your Mac, you just select from a content list on the iOS device and open the file for playback. Works from within Safari on the iOS device so you don't need to add any third-party utility to make it work, you only need to enable web sharing on the Mac and then create some UNIX links to the directories that contain the content.

Here is a write up on this technique, I've been using it for months and it works VERY well.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/answers/stream_videos_and_music_from_your_mac_to_your_iphone_or_ipad/

Thanks for posting this I'm going to try setting it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.