Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I just placed my order for a 1GB (1/31/05, late night) and I got a confirmation email stating it will be shipped out on Thursday the 3rd. Guess I should cancel my hold on one at my brick-and-mortar Apple reseller.

They seem to have some in stock still, just thought I would pass this along to all of you who will be waiting another 2 or 3 weeks. You can always cancel your Apple Store order.

If Microcenter can pull this off they will have a very impressed new customer. I will post updates.
-diddy

UPDATE (2/1/05)

I got another email saying it has been SHIPPED! I will have it on the 2nd!!
SOOOOO glad I didnt order form the Apple Store.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Thanks for the tip. :) A friend that has been wanting one just put in an order from them. Her existing Amazon pre-order still showed it wouldn't ship for another 4-6 weeks, so she cancelled it.

debo

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2004
This seems too good to be true. They also have Mac mini's in stock.

diddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
My iPs is in Columbus, OH right now.

I couldn't believe it either, but people on the Apple Support forums were reporting that they were getting next day shipping, and that actual Microcenter stores had stockpiles. And I'll be damned, mines on its way. (!)

yukon8170

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I ordered mine today and it should be here by friday or saturday. It was a lot cheaper than buying one of the ones from ebay.

cubixcrayfish

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
I might have go to my Brick and Mortar Micro-Center, they had a good amount of mini mac;s when I was there last week

CCF

Paladin

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2002
Houston, TX
Got my 1 GB Shuffle this morning from the local Micro Center. They had a bunch in stock. It's Autofilling and charging as I write.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Paladin said:
Got my 1 GB Shuffle this morning from the local Micro Center. They had a bunch in stock. It's Autofilling and charging as I write.

Micro Center eh? i stopped by there last week b/c i heard something along those lines but didnt see any. maybe i should try again this week!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
wPod said:
Micro Center eh? i stopped by there last week b/c i heard something along those lines but didnt see any. maybe i should try again this week!

The one in Richardson had a few 1GB shuffles left on Tuesday, but all of the 512MB were gone. My friend ordered her 512MB off their website on Tuesday afternoon and it should be in by tomorrow.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks to diddy, I bought online and chose local pickup, so I picked it up Wednesday. My local Micro Center had a few shuffles on the shelf in both varieties -- it seemed like more than a dozen. I was surprised that there were any left.

diddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Youre welcome, Rod.

Im just glad I was able to help people get their shuffles in a timelier fashion than Apple could offer.

I f@$&in' LOVE mine.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
woohoo!!! (happy with 512 shuffle in hand) i got a call from the mac store saying they had them in stock. yesterday (thursday) at around 1pm there were about a dozen left, though only 512, no 1GB (but 512 is all i wanted). it looks like they started with about two dozen when i got a call around 10 in the morning. But in the amount of time i was in the store purchasing mine three other guys came in asking for shuffles b/c they were on the list. wherever they are found they are going quickly!!!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
wPod said:
woohoo!!! (happy with 512 shuffle in hand) i got a call from the mac store saying they had them in stock. yesterday (thursday) at around 1pm there were about a dozen left, though only 512, no 1GB (but 512 is all i wanted). it looks like they started with about two dozen when i got a call around 10 in the morning. But in the amount of time i was in the store purchasing mine three other guys came in asking for shuffles b/c they were on the list. wherever they are found they are going quickly!!!

Did you get it at Knox Street? The employees there are tremendous about contacting people on the wait list for items just as soon as they come in. I've had nothing but great experiences shopping there.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Got mine!

I saw the thread, and I ordered two (one 512MB for my wife, and a 1GB for myself!). I was really only going to get one 512MB for each of us, but there was a one per type/per customer, so.... eh...

I got them today (FedEx one day), and I've got to say I'm impressed. It is a cool little piece of technology. We have a 40GB 4th Gen and a iPod mini, but I think these may be cooler. Yeah, they are limited in what they do, but they do it with stlye.

The integration with iTunes is fabulous, transfer was bearable on USB 1.1 (i'm sure it will be much better on my wife's ibook).

I think the thing I am most impressed with is the weight. It's like it isn't there. I can't wait to use this little fella while walking to work.

I love my 40GB iPod, but I do find taking it to work a bit of a chore. Yeah, it is small, and light, but I feel self-conscious with it, and kind of worried about breaking / losing it. The shuffle, on the other hand, is so small, light, and inexpensive I just don't wory about is so much. Kinda like a pair of sunglasses, really.

I'm sure my wife will love hers (I got it for her birthday, and pre-loaded it with some of her favorites). It seems like it will be perfect for working out.

Anyway, enough rambling.

-alywa

PS. Thanks for the heads up, Diddy! I was resigned to waiting for a few weeks from my local apple store, and I wouldn't have been able to get one for my wife's B-Day!

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
yeah theres a microcenter here in boston. they had A TON. like ALOT. I picked one up yesteday. I'm quite impressed. perfect for running.

BLINK

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2004
I think what is happening here is everyone is trying to get iPod Shuffles straight from Apple, but they do not think out of the box. Even if you don't have an Apple store in your town, a lot of the CompUSA's and Micro Centers have some in stock. I got my Shuffle at CompUSA about 2 weeks ago. So, if you are having trouble finding some, call your local computer stores to see if there are any left.

PS: I think the iPod Shuffle, along with the Mac Mini, has exceeded Apple's expectations. Both the Shuffles have been sold out of every Apple store and the official website is just jammed with orders. Amazon.com still does not have them in stock, but the Shuffles are both in the top ten in Electronics and #2 and #3 in MP3 players (only topped by the iPod 20 gig). Does anyone know of any sales figures? Maybe we need to wait until the next quarter results to be published by Apple.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Excellent! Thanks for the info, diddy! :cool:

I recently decided I'd really love to get my wife an iPod shuffle for Valentine's day. She's been wanting her own iPod for quite some time now (I have a 3rd gen 30 GB that I love, and since I'm the bigger music lover she let me have mine first :D). She wanted an iPod Mini when they came out last year but I resisted because the 4 GB isn't enough to hold her 8-10 GB collection. My collection just barely fits on my iPod, and I can't imagine not having everything available at once.

Then the iPod shuffle came out. I was actually disappointed because some rumors hinted that the Mini might bump up to 5 GB, plus Apple would start supporting HE-AAC which would allow good quality at even lower bitrates than 128kbps. I was ready to buy her a Mini if those two came true, since we could compress her collection enough to fit on one with HE-AAC. Didn't happen.

Then after the initial buying rush, I realized that the she's probably the typical user that's targeted by the shuffle. Her needs and usage are different from mine. After some thought I decided it would be perfect, as she's been wanting an easier way to listen to iTMS purchases in the car for awhile now. Problem: everyone was out of stock with 2-3+ week wait times. Too late for V-day. I was just going to check and see if anyone knew of any brick and mortar stores with shuffles in stock, and I saw this thread. Perfect!

Never heard of Microcenter, but found out there's one about 30 miles away in Tustin, CA. Just placed an order for a 1 GB shuffle to be picked up there. The website says in-store pickup is only available for in stock items, so here's hoping I get the confirmation email soon, uhh, confirming that. Fingers crossed! ;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I ordere mine the second it came on the store, so I got it the 22nd of last month, but I have three coworkers (yay me for convincing them to buy) who are still waiting.

I honestly think Apple does short order a bit to create a perceived demand, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
bankshot said:
Just placed an order for a 1 GB shuffle to be picked up there. The website says in-store pickup is only available for in stock items, so here's hoping I get the confirmation email soon, uhh, confirming that. Fingers crossed! ;)

Well, poop. Just got the email saying it's out of stock at the local store, so the order has been canceled. :( I always wish places like this would have a central database of all stores' inventory with instant updating so they can tell you online whether it's available, but obviously this place doesn't. I guess I'll have to start calling around to a bunch of places...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.