Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ795

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Hi All!

Having waited the last few months to see what the next upgrade was, I am now again deciding which of the PB range to go for.

I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer:

1) Everyone is saying that the prices have dropped with the latest revision, but in the UK the 15" combo drive base model is £ 30 more (£1349 compared to £1379) and that woud just have to be the one I was thinkning of going for!!! I'm sure i've remembered it correctly but if someone could verify that I would much appreciate it.

2) Can I order a 1.5GHz 15" PB with the VRAM upgraded to 128MB from somewhere? On the apple site, the 128MB only appears to be available with the 1.67Ghz machine.

Thanks,

AJ

deebster

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2004
Olde Englande
You are not mistaken mate

I keep a spreadsheet of the current specs and prices and when I came to update the powerbook prices they all dropped except for the 15" combo.

As far as BTO on the 128MB GPU goes, the main pb info pages on Apple's site do imply this can be done, but as you have also found out, when you go through the online store the option is only available for the superdrive model.

Given the recent cock-ups with pricing on BTO upgrades (BT/Airport on the Mini) and the like I am hoping this is just a typo by Apple's web-page-updater-monkies, but who really knows?

AJ795

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Thanks for the reply mate!

Can you please post the previous prices so that I can compare the others as well??

Thanks again,

AJ

dogbait

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
London, England
Look lads, stick the Powerbook Superdrive in your basket. Go to the options section (RAM upgrades, that kinda thing) and add the Dual DVI upgrade. There's an option there to remove the Superdrive and subtract £100 off the total price.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Remember that for £30 more you're getting a things which previously were much pricier upgrades; 256MB memory, 5400RPM drive, backlit KB... Not to mention the bumped CPUs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.