Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
lynxdaemonskye
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Macbook Battery: To Replace or Not to Replace?

I have an almost-3-years-old white Macbook. When I first got it, I could use it at half-brightness with light internet use, word processing, and iTunes, and expect to get 2.5 hours of battery. Now I'm lucky to get over an hour.
Now, having just an hour of battery isn't TOO horrible for me, but it does mean that I have to be sure to sit next to an outlet if I want to be able to use my computer in class. I think not having to do that anymore might be enough to justify changing the battery, depending on how much it costs.
I expect (hope) to be using this Macbook for at least the next 2 years. Would it be worth it to replace the battery now? Should I wait?


I currently have it plugged in and it says "not charging". Info from System Profiler:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2287
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2605
Health Information:
Cycle count: 577
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:00 AM   #2
msjones
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Download coconut battery from here and post a screenshot.

You should of been able to fetch more than 2.5 hours of use from the battery with you computer habits. I use my MB for internet, programming, music, etc and get 4+ hours.

You can replace the battery fairly cheaply from ebay and I would say its worth it. Especially if your wanting another 2 years from your MB as the battery condition will only get worse.

Have you tried battery calibration?
__________________
MacBook Pro / Nexus 4.
InfoSec guy.
msjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:38 AM   #3
orfeas0
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxdaemonskye View Post
I have an almost-3-years-old white Macbook. When I first got it, I could use it at half-brightness with light internet use, word processing, and iTunes, and expect to get 2.5 hours of battery. Now I'm lucky to get over an hour.
Now, having just an hour of battery isn't TOO horrible for me, but it does mean that I have to be sure to sit next to an outlet if I want to be able to use my computer in class. I think not having to do that anymore might be enough to justify changing the battery, depending on how much it costs.
I expect (hope) to be using this Macbook for at least the next 2 years. Would it be worth it to replace the battery now? Should I wait?


I currently have it plugged in and it says "not charging". Info from System Profiler:
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2287
Fully charged: No
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2605
Health Information:
Cycle count: 577
have you tried calibrating the battery? it may give you more hours of usage.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
try that and if you dont get more than 1:30 i would suggest changing the battery.
Or you can sell your current macbook on ebay and get the next gen macbook pros coming in feb-march.
orfeas0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:42 AM   #4
lynxdaemonskye
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I may have been able to get more than 2.5 hours at first... To be honest I don't remember! I would be happy with 2.5 hours now!

Yes, I have calibrated the battery. I noticed a difference the first time I did it, in November, and I have done it twice since then.

Here's the screenshot:


I guess the question I should be asking is, why isn't it charging completely? I have it plugged in at the moment and it says "not charging."
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:48 AM   #5
lynxdaemonskye
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by orfeas0 View Post
Or you can sell your current macbook on ebay and get the next gen macbook pros coming in feb-march.
I wish I could do that! I don't have the money for it, though.
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:53 AM   #6
SDub90
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Long Island
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I bought a new battery for a 3 year old MacBook pro, I would recommend doing the same if you have no other need for a hardware upgrade.

Bought mine off amazon

Last edited by SDub90; Jan 19, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
SDub90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:14 PM   #7
lynxdaemonskye
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Okay, so how do I make sure to buy the right battery? Are all white Macbook batteries the same?
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:30 PM   #8
MagicBoy
macrumors 68000
 
MagicBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Replace the battery.

The battery has done pretty well to get to 500+ cycles with 50% capacity still working.

My 2006 MacBook Pro ate an official Apple battery a year and none of them got anywhere near 300 cycles with 50% left. The batteries in the later unibody machines appear at the moment to hold they're capacity better over a large number of cycles.
__________________
Late 2013 15" MacBook Pro with retina display 2.3GHz; Mac mini (2009) 2GHz ;
iPhone 6 64GB

RIP : Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz HR-AG with dead GPU
MagicBoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 04:58 PM   #9
lynxdaemonskye
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I have held off on doing anything about this since I last posted, mostly because I don't want to pay for it, but today I noticed something odd. I was using my Macbook while plugged in for about three hours, closed/unplugged it for about 5 minutes while I did something else, then came back. (It sleeps when closed.)
When I opened it and plugged it in again, it said it had 45 minutes to a full charge. ...what?
I continued using it for about 15 minutes, during which time the "time to full charge" slowly fluctuated up to an hour, then down to 43 minutes, then changed to "not charging." Something weird is going on here!

I opened Coconut Battery and got this.


I have significantly more capacity than my last screenshot, and it's still not charging fully. What can I do to fix this? If this maximum charge is true, and I can get it to charge fully, I won't need to replace the battery.
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:03 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxdaemonskye View Post
I have held off on doing anything about this since I last posted, mostly because I don't want to pay for it, but today I noticed something odd. I was using my Macbook while plugged in for about three hours, closed/unplugged it for about 5 minutes while I did something else, then came back. (It sleeps when closed.)
When I opened it and plugged it in again, it said it had 45 minutes to a full charge. ...what?
I continued using it for about 15 minutes, during which time the "time to full charge" slowly fluctuated up to an hour, then down to 43 minutes, then changed to "not charging." Something weird is going on here!
Make sure your battery is properly calibrated (I know you said you did before, but there are many who misunderstand the exact steps required, as posted in the following link). Also, the time/percentage remaining either to a full charge or remaining on battery is a constantly-changing estimate, based on your Mac's current power demands. The estimate can change from minute to minute. It's normal. Also, your battery health will fluctuate up and down over time.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:21 PM   #11
lynxdaemonskye
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I understand that the time/percentage remaining is not exact.

My real question is, how is it that my current charge is greater than my MAXIMUM charge last time, and how can I reach what Coconut Battery NOW says my maximum charge is?

I will calibrate the battery again today to see if that helps.
lynxdaemonskye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:27 PM   #12
c0l3a5h3r
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
If you have the money, replace it.
__________________
-Cole Asher
13" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD; 32 GB iPod Touch
c0l3a5h3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When To Replace MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Battery Rammer1 MacBook Pro 1 Dec 16, 2013 03:27 PM
best battery to replace 2011 macbook pro? rogerh MacBook Pro 8 Sep 27, 2013 01:24 AM
MacBook Pro battery cycle is almost 2000. Should I replace or not? kel2 MacBook Pro 34 Jul 29, 2013 04:09 AM
Battery: to replace or not to replace? splitpea MacBook Pro 7 Jan 19, 2013 12:28 PM
Just bought Macbook air, battery indicating: replace now gaiao MacBook Air 13 Sep 3, 2012 06:09 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC