Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
3rd party script

Someone should write a program or script that hooks into all of the iApp and OS-level .Mac functions and allows you to set up an FTP account do do all the same stuff. I would never use .Mac for a web page, because I like to make things that can be looked at by more than 10 people before it is shut off due to "excessive bandwidth." At least iPhoto lets you save the slideshows as plain HTML so you can manually upload them to a real webhost.

:p

stylum

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2002
SoCal
why arn is a god with 1855 posts
and jelloshotrule is a demi-god with 3324?
is it for the name?
why is there so much injustice in the ...

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
That really makes me want to spend $50/$100 on .Mac!!!! *note sarcasm. Im sorry, but the .Mac service is just not worth that much money if you dont have any money to begin with. :( , i like apple a lot - just not some of the things they do.

jrbohorquezg

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
Chicago
I must say that .Mac is an excellent service. Also, maybe it's becasue I like a simple game every ince in a while, but Alchemy is really good. I use the webpage, the backup and the iDisk, and they are all very good.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
You're not always going to be broke

Originally posted by scem0
That really makes me want to spend $50/$100 on .Mac!!!! *note sarcasm. Im sorry, but the .Mac service is just not worth that much money if you dont have any money to begin with. :( , i like apple a lot - just not some of the things they do.

Never forget that Apple is a business. That doesn't mean they're going to shaft you but they don't stay alive without generating revenue and profits.

I think by the time .mac expires for users who've paid 50.00 Apple will have rolled out a few more suprises and at least one of those will have to be indispensible for .mac users.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
.Mac & .Net

Are one in the same....... lame..... I think Apple and Microsoft better get off this bandwagon fast and stick with operating systems, software, and hardware.......I haven't seen anything in either .Mac or .Net that you can't do or get for free or though 3rd party products that are far better and less expensive.

P.S. I can take 100 pics with my digital camera and load them in my computer in seconds..... so why do I need iKodak's iPrints? And paying for ie-mail accounts? You can get 1000 e-mail accounts anywhere for free? I just don't understand the .Mac or .net business models, though they seem to be aimed at the computer illiterate.

Hawthorne

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
In front of my Mac
Re: .Mac & .Net

Originally posted by 3777
Are one in the same[/I]

I missed the [Sarcasm][/Sarcasm] tags around that post.

....... lame.....
Now that I semi-agree with. But this new offer does sweeten the pot to go to .mac, no matter what you think.

P.S. I can take 100 pics with my digital camera and load them in my computer in seconds..... so why do I need iKodak's iPrints?

Quality. They're printed on actual photo paper, by a photo lab. And unless you spend a fair amount of time tweaking your ColorSync settings and calibrating your monitor, Photoshop (not Photoshop Elements, the real thing) and your ink jet printer, what you get back from the lab will be better than what you print out at home.
And paying for ie-mail accounts? You can get 1000 e-mail accounts anywhere for free? I just don't understand the .Mac or .net business models, though they seem to be aimed at the computer illiterate.
Semi-true. I've had a Yahoo! mail account for years which I've used thru thick and thin, it's been reliable, protects me from spam fairly well, and convienent. It always has splash ads on every single page and popups galore, something iTools never did. And sure, I can host at geocities or wherever, if I don't mind banner ads and popups galore.
The ease of use for changing content in an iDisk is simply unmatched. Sure, I can FTP up files to my host and set up directories and blahblahblah if I want to.

But some times, I don't want to. And that's where an iDisk came in.

Now, with all this being said, I'm still not upgrading from my old iTools account. At $50/100 a year, it ain't worth it to me. I have my own site, I have enough disk space on it. But there are new users/non-techies who bought an Apple because they didn't want to worry about it. And that's who .mac is for.

thies

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
cool, more stuff I pay for which is not available outside the US, great job.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Yeah, ditto. This is going to be a major weakness in the deal, if it persists: what do WE get, as foreigners? It's already MORE expensive for LESS benefit.:( :(

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA

P.S. I can take 100 pics with my digital camera and load them in my computer in seconds..... so why do I need iKodak's iPrints? And paying for ie-mail accounts? You can get 1000 e-mail accounts anywhere for free?

To continue the lesson started above. Not only are the pictures on Kodak photo paper, but they are actually using photographic methods for producing the prints. They are not coming out of an inkjet printer, instead, they are are exposing the photo paper in the same manner a photo developer would, including fixing the image. They are very nice and completely indistinguishable from a photograph from your local Rx. I also printed out a photo onto a 16x20, and it came out beautifully, try that on your $99 printer. How about a 24x36 inch print.

As for email, all those free acounts will require a web browser to access. My one grip is the lack of security. Come on apple, how about some md5 or ssl. Hell, how about using Kerberos, it is built into the OS now. Set up a .mac KDC. I am tired of my email password flying through my company wireless network in clear text. Not only that, but the last time I was on the phone with apple, when my password was not working, I asked them about it, and the guy on the phone is like, "It is unlikely" that someone would steal my password that way. I work in a University, and I know how easy it is to install Ethereal and sniff a wireless network. Scoping up passwords is simple.

.mac isn't perfect, but I am happy that I have it. YMMV

dhdave

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
NJ

Are one in the same....... lame..... I think Apple and Microsoft better get off this bandwagon fast and stick with operating systems, software, and hardware.......
...I just don't understand the .Mac or .net business models, though they seem to be aimed at the computer illiterate.

Don't hold your breath. Your last sentence describes very accurately Apple's target market for .Mac: CONSUMERS. People who a.) have the money and b.) are more than willing to pay a reputable company to perform a service "better" than they could do it themselves. Make no mistake, web-services are here to stay and are going to become an ever increasing part of Apple's revenue stream. Jobs et al are absolutely correct to focus on this.

dh

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by stylum
why arn is a god with 1855 posts
and jelloshotrule is a demi-god with 3324?
is it for the name?

Arn and Blakespot are the only Gods (they run the site) Anyone who contributes (buys a mug) is a demi god. Simple.

As for the topic - I would love to see more of these incentives, but it would take significantly more than a few pics and some silly games to make me pay the $100. And is there any guaranty that these extras will be available next year?

D

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by dukestreet
I would love to see more of these incentives, but it would take significantly more than a few pics and some silly games to make me pay the $100. And is there any guaranty that these extras will be available next year?

How much in retail dollars do you expect Apple to give away before this service is woth the $49 ($99) you'll be paying? :rolleyes:

Servers cost money
Bandwidth cost money
Employees cost money (these services don't maintain themselves)
100 Kodak Prints cost money (real money now that an external source is involved)

You do want Apple to say in business don't you? The way some of the people who have posted here sound they wouldn't be happy till Apple gave them a check for $200 to join this $99 service.

Life Lesson:

Ain't no such thing as a free lunch... Never has been never will be... Apple isn't a charity with an unlimited supply of cash to throw away. Apple is a corporation that needs a POSITIVE CASH FLOW or they will die. To satisfy that need they will sell goods and services at a PROFIT.

(speaking in general)

You don't have to like ALL the goods and services Apple sells. The ones you like you buy the ones you don't... you don't buy. But to expect Apple to loose money just to make you happy just makes you look greedy and selfish and in the end does nothing to keep Apple a successful company.

Example: I've never been in the market for an iBook or iMac. Do you see me trashing Apple because that product isn't something *I'm* interested in or something that I think is worth it? No! I understand that Apple has to cater to many different groups with their products and I'm never gonna like each and every one of them. I also don't go around pissing and moaning about Apple spending money on iMac or iBook R&D when they could have been using that money other places or other things that I'd like.

Disclaimer:

Yes .mac *IS* worth the $49 I've paid for this year. Fact is $50 bucks doesn't really mean a heck of a lot for me. Will it be worth $99? I think it WILL be with stuff like iCal and iSync (and other rumors) but either way I'll cross that bridge NEXT year and not stress about it now.

Dave

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
.mac bandwidth

I was considering getting a .mac account because I have to show a ton of pictures to clients and I don't have time to make a picture web site. But I'm concerned about what someone said about .mac shutting off when there is too much traffic, is that really the case? Also, is .mac compatible with all PCs and Web browsers?
The biggest reason I like iPhoto is because it takes like 5 minutes to post 50+ pictures in a nice web site, is there any other program that will do that? I mean I can make a site like that, but it takes me like two hours, why should I spend that kind of time when iPhoto is kickin out those pages.

Signed.. "on the fence about .mac"

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001

Are one in the same....... lame..... I think Apple and Microsoft better get off this bandwagon fast and stick with operating systems, software, and hardware.......I haven't seen anything in either .Mac or .Net that you can't do or get for free or though 3rd party products that are far better and less expensive.

P.S. I can take 100 pics with my digital camera and load them in my computer in seconds..... so why do I need iKodak's iPrints? And paying for ie-mail accounts? You can get 1000 e-mail accounts anywhere for free? I just don't understand the .Mac or .net business models, though they seem to be aimed at the computer illiterate.

Yea but I'm not getting your point...

Ever buy a lunch from a deli instead of brown bagging your own? Well you my friend MUST be illiterate since everyone knows that you can do it on the cheap. Same goes for a 12oz can of soda... Heck buy the 2liter it's WAY cheaper. Not as easy you say... hmmm you might be right. You can also go to the store and buy fabric, needle and thread and make your own shirts and pants. Do you? It would be so MUCH cheaper... What's that you say? The stuff in you buy in the store are better, easier and look much nicer? Well then that is the price you're willing to pay isn't it. Heck why buy a car when you can walk or take the bus?

Just like the examples above... .Mac isn't for illiterates.

.mac is turning into an easy / elegant way to do so many things on the net all under one roof and in most cases with the push of one button or less. Sorry but I don't know of anyone else providing that level of service (at any price - let alone free)!

Sites that provide free or at a cost...

Now:

E-Mail that I can use with MY email client (and no ads)
Quick web page design and one button uploading of my photos
Simple one button (no button) backups - up to 100MB

Very Soon:

Web Calendar Services linked into an App that runs native in X
AutoSync my important info with one push of the button (iSync)

Dave

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Re: You're not always going to be broke

Originally posted by nuckinfutz

Never forget that Apple is a business. That doesn't mean they're going to shaft you but they don't stay alive without generating revenue and profits.

I think by the time .mac expires for users who've paid 50.00 Apple will have rolled out a few more suprises and at least one of those will have to be indispensible for .mac users.

I realize this... That is why I am not sending complaint letters into apple, or complaining about it at all. I just think that it isnt worth $100. I understand that apple has to make money off this and I hope they do, but I know that it won't be my money,

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Make your views known

There's no harm complaining to Apple: I wrote to them because I want .mac to be worth $100 by the time I have to pay that much. I paid the $50, but I certainly wouldn't be happy having to pay $100, and I think that new Mac users are getting a very raw deal: this is the very group for whom Apple should be differentiating themselves clearly from MS, at least by making sure they offer good value for money. It's surely not yet the best way to spend $100 for most people.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I understand the desire to complain about .Mac. Heck the day they announced it I was rather unhappy. The fact is though that it is a great feature that compliments the Mac, especially OS X and the iApps. This is going to migrate into something really special that seperated Mac users from PC clones. Patience my young padawans, it will come together to form a very nice set of services.

I think it is worth it just for the mail, iDisk, and because it is easy enough that my wife can make a webpage.

Nuff said.
;)

nero007

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2002
There are plenty more features in store for .MAC from what I heard. I think it's already worth the $50 price tag and with the new features will be well worth the $100 a year. Keep in mind even the cheapest hosting space costs more than $100 a year.

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2002
Re: Re: .Mac & .Net

Originally posted by DaveGee

Yea but I'm not getting your point...

Ever buy a lunch from a deli instead of brown bagging your own? Well you my friend MUST be illiterate since everyone knows that you can do it on the cheap. Same goes for a 12oz can of soda... Heck buy the 2liter it's WAY cheaper. Not as easy you say... hmmm you might be right. You can also go to the store and buy fabric, needle and thread and make your own shirts and pants. Do you? It would be so MUCH cheaper... What's that you say? The stuff in you buy in the store are better, easier and look much nicer? Well then that is the price you're willing to pay isn't it. Heck why buy a car when you can walk or take the bus?

Just like the examples above... .Mac isn't for illiterates.

.mac is turning into an easy / elegant way to do so many things on the net all under one roof and in most cases with the push of one button or less. Sorry but I don't know of anyone else providing that level of service (at any price - let alone free)!

Sites that provide free or at a cost...

Now:

E-Mail that I can use with MY email client (and no ads)
Quick web page design and one button uploading of my photos
Simple one button (no button) backups - up to 100MB

Very Soon:

Web Calendar Services linked into an App that runs native in X
AutoSync my important info with one push of the button (iSync)

Dave

Ugh........ I don't need to pay a $100 fee for an online calendar........ and I don't have to look at banner ads either, my ISP provides up to 7 e-mail accounts free. Apple is clearly targeting people who don't know any better with this lame service. Sure they'll find hundreds of thousands of people willing to needlessly hand over their money, thinking there getting something great, but it's still noting but icrap.

P.S. regarding the other posters "lesson" .....ugh digital pictures printed out of my computer look simply incredible....... so regarding all the "ikodakian professional standards" .....how anal retentive do people have to be? Pictures printed out of my computer are flawless.......they look incredible?! No fees!

P.P.S. I would hardly equate not paying a $100 fee for an online calendar or an email account with knitting your own t-shirts.....
:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.