Help with duplicates using Gmail, iOS Mail, and Apple Mail on Mac - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
CDutch
macrumors regular

Help with duplicates using Gmail, iOS Mail, and Apple Mail on Mac

Like many, I use Gmail as my primary email provider. In addition to the web interface, I have it setup using ActiveSync on my iPhone and using IMAP on my Mac at home.

After composing a rather lengthy email using Mail on my Mac last night, I opened the "All Mail" folder on my iPhone and noticed that there were at least 75 variations of that email in the "All Mail" folder. It appeared as if the Apple Mail application auto saved every couple of minutes and all of those versions were somehow were filed away in the "All Mail" folder...except, they only displayed on my iPhone...not in the Mac Mail app nor in the web interface.

I've dug around a bit looking for a solution and am yet to find anything. Any suggestions are appreciated.
CDutch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:48 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDutch View Post
Like many, I use Gmail as my primary email provider. In addition to the web interface, I have it setup using ActiveSync on my iPhone and using IMAP on my Mac at home.

After composing a rather lengthy email using Mail on my Mac last night, I opened the "All Mail" folder on my iPhone and noticed that there were at least 75 variations of that email in the "All Mail" folder. It appeared as if the Apple Mail application auto saved every couple of minutes and all of those versions were somehow were filed away in the "All Mail" folder...except, they only displayed on my iPhone...not in the Mac Mail app nor in the web interface.

I've dug around a bit looking for a solution and am yet to find anything. Any suggestions are appreciated.
The All Mail folder includes your Trash and Junk Mail folders. When you compose a message, it autosaves a copy periodically. When you save or send the message, it deletes those autosaved copies. If you empty your Trash message folder, they will also disappear from All Mail. All Mail does not contain a copy of messages in other folders; it simply displays all messages from all folders for that account, no matter which folder they're in.

You don't ever have to look at the All Mail folder, if you have Mail set up properly.

Properly sort Drafts, Deleted, and Sent mail in Apple Mail

To finish the setup:

Highlight [Gmail] Sent Mail in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
Highlight [Gmail] Drafts in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts
Highlight [Gmail] Trash in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Trash
Highlight [Gmail] Spam in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Junk
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
CDutch
macrumors regular

My Gmail setup is in Mail is as you recommended at the end of your post.

I guess what I don't understand (and am trying to fix) is why all of the auto-saved copies appeared ONLY in All Mail on my iPhone.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDutch View Post
My Gmail setup is in Mail is as you recommended at the end of your post.

I guess what I don't understand (and am trying to fix) is why all of the auto-saved copies appeared ONLY in All Mail on my iPhone.
If you empty your Trash folder, then sync, do they still appear on the iPhone?
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
CDutch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
If you empty your Trash folder, then sync, do they still appear on the iPhone?
I'll have to test it again tonight. I manually deleted them all from All Mail last night.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:41 AM   #6
karsten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The All Mail folder includes your Trash and Junk Mail folders. When you compose a message, it autosaves a copy periodically. When you save or send the message, it deletes those autosaved copies. If you empty your Trash message folder, they will also disappear from All Mail. All Mail does not contain a copy of messages in other folders; it simply displays all messages from all folders for that account, no matter which folder they're in.

You don't ever have to look at the All Mail folder, if you have Mail set up properly.

To finish the setup:

Highlight [Gmail] Sent Mail in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Sent.
Highlight [Gmail] Drafts in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts
Highlight [Gmail] Trash in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Trash
Highlight [Gmail] Spam in the sidebar and select Mailbox (menu bar) > Use This Mailbox For > Junk
what are your settings in mailbox behaviors? thanks
karsten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
what are your settings in mailbox behaviors? thanks
What do you mean?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
karsten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What do you mean?
in Mail preferences, click your gmail account, then the second tab says mailbox behaviors. sets what to store on the server was wondering how you had those set
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:53 AM   #9
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
in Mail preferences, click your gmail account, then the second tab says mailbox behaviors. sets what to store on the server was wondering how you had those set
They're set to store messages on the server. Why?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:55 AM   #10
karsten
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They're set to store messages on the server. Why?
just making sure i have it working right is all
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:39 AM   #11
orlandocano
macrumors regular

Quote:

To finish the setup:

Does anyone here know how to mimic the "use this mailbox for" settings above on an idevice running 4.3.1????? I want deleted and sent emails emails from iPad and iPhone to show up in my trash and sent folders on gmail.com ... I set up Mac mail this way but for the life of me haven't figured out how to do it on iPhone and iPad... Help anyone please! A couple of web write-ups have told me to go to 'advanced' mail options in preferences but I can't find that anywhere!
orlandocano is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store