Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moe5443

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
hello all

I just ordered a 13" MBA and am very excited to use it. I've always been a desktop user and this is going to be my first laptop. I was wondering the best way to preserve the battery and battery usage.

I'm going to have my MBA at my work station a lot and was wondering should I always keep the MBA plugged in and charging when I'm at work or is it better to let the battery drain and then recharge it when its empty. Or maybe it doesnt matter either way.

Also is it like other laptops where the computers performance is better when its plugged into the wall, or does the MBA work the same regardless if its plugged in or not?

Thanks!

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you're at a desk, just leave it plugged in, and use the battery a couple times a week. I definitely don't recommend charging, then immediately discharging constantly. That just puts unnecessary cycles on the battery, whereas leaving it plugged in won't have ill effects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.