Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Hi All,

My first post to the board, after a few weeks of lurking/reading. Im new to Mac, but a pretty quick learner (you'd shudder at how much I've been poking around in terminal).

Anyway, I need to find a way to generate an audible and screen based alert (preferably a window that is persistent/has to be acknowledged) when an incoming SSH connection establishes.

So far I've found a script that will send an email if root logs in and an app (who is connected), but neither quite do the job.

Any suggestions?

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Thanks, i had a look but snitch seems to be based around sessions that send from me to outside world (Im looking for something that spots ssh connections from outside to me)..... unless I've been stupid and not read the snitch documents properly :)

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
Thanks, i had a look but snitch seems to be based around sessions that send from me to outside world (Im looking for something that spots ssh connections from outside to me)..... unless I've been stupid and not read the snitch documents properly :)

your exactly right, it wont do it.

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
ok, so I've tinkered a bit with growlnotify, which seems to do 1/2 of what I need. I guess I could combine it with a loginhook for whichever account logs in, but then I wouldnt get alerts for failled SSH attempts.

Is there any way or triggering an event from receipt of a packet on a certain port (22)? .... ideally from the command line so I could whack it into a script.

aussiedj

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
Brisbane
Ahhh, I can see your going to be right at home here! :)

And GREAT to see a new mac user not afraid to grab the bull by the horns and with your "there HAS TO BE a solution" attitude, you are a pro already. So refreshing to see! And welcome to the mac community!

Can't help you with your question though. But this is currently in "basics" section. I suggest you ask in mac programming as they should be able to point you in the right direction.

ebt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
Good advise, thanks.....

...but dont mistake being stubborn for anything other than it is ;)

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Anyway, I need to find a way to generate an audible and screen based alert (preferably a window that is persistent/has to be acknowledged) when an incoming SSH connection establishes.

Why do you want to do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.