Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
jekjones1558
macrumors member

Buying Verizon iPhone from Verizon vs. from Apple

I am an AT&T customer who is experiencing many dropped calls so I will be switching to Verizon. It seems like it would be easier to port my number and my husband's number from AT&T to Verizon if I bought the service, a different non-smart phone for hubby and an iPhone for me all from Verizon via a phone call. Or can I just as easily do most of that at the Apple Store? (I obviously would still have to get hubby's phone from a Verizon store.) Would there be any difference in service for my iPhone (in case of problems) if I bought from Verizon? Could I still bring the iPhone to an Apple Store for warranty work?
When I got my AT&T iPhone I switched from Verizon and made 2 stops--1 at AT&T booth, the other at Apple Store. It would be nice to avoid the chaos at the Verizon and Apple Stores but I am willing to wait a few days after the Feb. 10 launch if it is better in the long run.
TIA for any advice.
jekjones1558 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:31 PM   #2
yearofthe
macrumors regular

I'd rather Best Buy.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

I don't know if Best Buy will be carrying the Verizon iPhone right away, but either Apple or Verizon stores should be a one-stop shop for you. The need to bounce between Apple and AT&T stores is long over unless you have extenuating circumstances.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 08:18 PM   #4
zenit
macrumors member

I would order online from verizon. They always have a coupon running for free overnight shipping, and they always ship out right away. I've always gotten my orders/replacements next morning after ordering.
zenit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
landscapeman
macrumors regular

Authorized Resellers will receive the Verizon iPhone 30 days after release. i.e. March 10th.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:52 PM   #6
Zepaw
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Zepaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapeman View Post
Authorized Resellers will receive the Verizon iPhone 30 days after release. i.e. March 10th.
I assumed as much. I doubt all the little Vz outlets will be packing the iPhones any time soon. Will they have to honor the $199 $299 price structure? I would think apple probably has that as part of their agreement to sell with Vz.

I don't know who buys their phones in the little authorized retailer stores because they sell their products for so much more than from Verizon.com. A droid X costs $70 more if I go into the store rather than the website. I guess they hope for enough people not competent enough to compare prices.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 05:32 AM   #7
jekjones1558
macrumors member

What about warranty work if I have problems with the iphone? Can I still go to an Apple Store, just as if I bought it there, if I buy the iPhone from Verizon? And can I buy Apple Care from Verizon or do I buy that separately from Apple?
jekjones1558 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:10 AM   #8
landscapeman
macrumors regular

I am assuming that Apple will still sell the Care Plan and would handle the warranty.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:13 AM   #9
nburwell
macrumors 68000

It might be a better idea to order the phones via Verizon's web site. I don't know if you're looking to switch over to on Feb. 10th, but I'm sure both Apple and Verizon stores will be a complete mad house. Plus, like others have mentioned, VZW typically runs free overnight shipping. So unless you want the face-to-face experience (in addition to probably waiting in line), I would suggest ordering online.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Pomeless
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenit View Post
They always have a coupon running for free overnight shipping, away.
Is this to be found on the site or is it a promo code?
Pomeless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:16 AM   #11
gigapocket1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gigapocket1 Send a message via Yahoo to gigapocket1
Who likes to order something and wait?? Go to the verizon store and buy both of the phones. Exspeically with porting numbers, i would rather do that with someone who i can physically deal with.. ANd yea, if theirs a problem you can still go the apple store if you have any problems
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

I am sure there will be a disconnect with Verizon and Apple as there was with AT&T, but I bought mine from both Apple and AT&T for the family and didn't have an issue either way, so I would say go to Apple.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone