Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajdb9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Hi

I've just bought an over-the-shoulder bag that is laptop-capable but doesn't have a really dedicated sleeve as such.

I was wondering if any of you knew of a (probably neoprene) sleeve for the 15" uMBP that does not have zips? i.e. just slides in and out.

I've checked the New Zealand Online Apple Store, and also our main reseller Magnum Mac (now Yoobee online - what a ridiculous name right?)

Thanks heaps!

Xander

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Zipper or not, you want to try to get a sleeve which fits tightly around the computer. If it isn't a zipper, you are talking Velcro, binding, clip, button, snap, etc. The reason for this is that having a shock absorbing material fitting on the MBP will add to its already impressive durability. Furthermore, if you drop it or hit it hard, physical damage to the case can be completely avoided in many cases (no pun intended). Also, it prevents scratches which is a plus as well :)

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
wow these look nice and clean, just what i was looking for

I have this sleeve (in gray) for my 15" rMBP. It is indeed nice and slim, however it's a bit tight and even after six months of usage it requires some effort to take the laptop in and out of the sleeve. I've found this to be a little annoying. It also doesn't provide any major protection. I use it when I take my rMBP in my messenger bag with a dedicated notebook computer compartment, but for everything else I have a different sleeve that provides some more protection.

jayrammac

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2014
I assume the OP did not want a zipper because of the risk of scratches to the case when inserting or taking out the computer from the sleeve...

I am worried about that too - just deciding on the right sleeve.. (though I did actually go an buy a zipped one, the grey Cote&Ciel from the Apple Store!... but be returning that)

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Same worries here, hence the demand for a zipper-free sleeve for my newly purchased Macbook Pro 13" (non retina).
With my previous laptop (a Powerbook G4) I used a RadSleevz from RadTech
RadSleevz-MacBook-Air-Sleeve.jpg

It worked great except it doesn't cover the rear (or front, depending on which way you insert) of the computer as you can see from the photo. It really should have a flap at that end (which you tuck in towards the top/bottom of the computer, thereby protecting every side of it). Is something like that available?

To further enhance that solution would be a similar sleeve made of neoprene which would, in addition to protect from scratches, also give some shock protection. Again, without a zipper.
Does anyone know of such a product?

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
This is the sleeve I use. It's expensive, but the fact that you can customize it to your taste is really nice. The craftsmanship is excellent, too.

As soon as my current laptop/work bag wears out, I intend to buy one of their messenger bags as well.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
That's one awesome sleeve you've got there saturnotaku, this one in particular caught my attention:
xpacblack_3_4.jpg

No zippers and a velcro-flap.
The only thing missing is having it made from shock-proof neoprene and I'd buy it right away (although 60 bucks + shipping is a bit steep IMHO).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.