Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have a Rayovac charger I use with some AAs that I use in my portable CD player and a few other devices. My quick question is "Will recharageble batteries work okay in the wireless keyboard and mouse?" Will they be able to provide enough power and for long enough?

That's pretty much the deciding factor on whether I go with Wired or Wireless keyboard/mouse on my new iMac. (I'd like to go for that completely wireless mode.)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I use rechargable AAA's in my BT 500. It should be fine although you may have to change them more often (I only get 4-5 days per charge).

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
yippy said:
I use rechargable AAA's in my BT 500. It should be fine although you may have to change them more often (I only get 4-5 days per charge).

Well if they're recharagable, that's not so much of a hassle. I figure have 4 batteries. Two in the keyboard and two in the charger. Swap when necessary.

Another quick question: Didn't Apple used to sell an airport extreme base station that lacked a modem port for less than one that included it? What happened to it?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
neoelectronaut said:
Well if they're recharagable, that's not so much of a hassle. I figure have 4 batteries. Two in the keyboard and two in the charger. Swap when necessary.

Another quick question: Didn't Apple used to sell an airport extreme base station that lacked a modem port for less than one that included it? What happened to it?

i use rechargeable Energizers with my mouse and keyboard no problems at all, the batteries in the keyboard always outlast the mouse though of course, just remember that in total combined they use six batteries, two in the mouse and four in the keyboard

apple did have an extreme base station without a modem, however it was discontinued once the airport express was released, too similar i suppose

ShermDog

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
Chicago
I currently use Rayovac rechargeable batteries in both my Apple wireless KB and mouse. I believe they are 2300 mAh. I get about 3.5-4 weeks between charges for the keyboard (using it 7 days a week for approx. 15 hours total), and about 1.5-2 weeks for the mouse (same amount of time). I think these times are excellent, especially since I never turn them off.

When I first bought the wireless KB and mouse, I used 1600 mAh Energizer rechargeables. With those batteries, I got about 2 weeks between charges for the keyboard, and I had to charge weekly for the mouse.

I've heard the best rechargeable batteries to use in electronic devices are Maha rechargeables by Powerex. If you don't have a set yet, you might consider those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.