Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronaldo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
I am planning to get the ipod nano 8g and i had the ipod mini 4g before. I had the mini for 2yrs and someone i know thinks that that is a very short time for someone to have an ipod or mp3 player. I think that 2 yrs is pretty long for an ipod. How long is an ipod mini supposed to last when used daily and frequently?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
There is no set time limit for how long an iPod is supposed to last. I've had my current iPod Video for going on 6 years and it still works great, and I've had my iPod Nano for going on 3 years and it still works great as well. It depends on how it is taken care of and how enticing the new features of the new iPods are :p

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
As long as you treat it nicely, don't abuse it, it should last for a long, long time.
I have the original Green 4GB mini, and it still works perfectly! Of course, it's needed a new battery though.
Usually the hard drives are the first thing to go but in the newer iPods (sans Classic) you don't have to worry about that because they are flash based.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
My original iPod Mini 4GB Silver is still running like a champ, though I have had to replace the battery and I swapped the 4GB drive for a 16GB flash card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.