Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1
jmazzamj
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to jmazzamj
Fusion slows boot time down?

The title says it all: Installing VMware Fusion (3.0) made my Air boot time 10" slower? How could that be? I need an explanation, please! Are these the first effect of Windows, the worst virus ever?

Please help me out!!

Thank you.
jmazzamj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 04:22 PM   #2
MikePA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmazzamj View Post
The title says it all: Installing VMware Fusion (3.0) made my Air boot time 10" slower? How could that be? I need an explanation, please! Are these the first effect of Windows, the worst virus ever?

Please help me out!!

Thank you.
Are you starting a Windows virtual machine at boot time? If so, why?
MikePA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 02:18 PM   #3
poobear
macrumors 6502

VMware (regardless if your virtual machine is Windows or not) installs some extensions that runs at boot, and these can make the boot time longer. It's just how it is.

However, you CAN fix this by manually starting these extensions when you want to run VMware, although this is more cumbersome.
http://communities.vmware.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0 I'm running the terminal command each time I want to run VMware, I just hate unnecessary processes in the background.
poobear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:37 PM   #4
jmazzamj
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to jmazzamj
Thanks for the info guys.

Luckily my Air has come back to normal boot times after several boots, perhaps installing VMware triggered a sort of caching system or something.

Poobear, thank you but that is not an option, too technical.
Let me explain: I'm not going to use Windows in my life ever again (sadly my current work relies on XP) BUT As my sister is new to Macs, I installed it on her Air just in case she needs to run a software I don't know a replacement for while I'm not at home or she is abroad. You don't know my sister...

I'd really really like you to share some more insight about software starting unnecessary processes, I really hated that when I was a Windows user and I DID know how to get rid of them.

Cheers
jmazzamj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air