Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I just purchased a high quality combo USB / Line out cable from Kensington. Here is what I got -- http://us.kensington.com/html/17597.html -

I just bought this hoping to use it in my car along with my iPad, yes iPad not iPhone. I first tested by plugging the line out into some external computer speaker ... hissssss. Then into my nice NAD stereo amp .... hisssss and finally in the car ....... hissssssssssssssss. Ok you might say this is just a problem with the cable but funny thing is that if I use the same cable on an old, yes very old 60gig iPod (Click Wheel) it works fine, no hiss at all, so something is amiss. Perhaps I have dicky iPad line out circuity here here but perhaps there is something in the iPads line out that is different from my old old iPod. The cable doesn't actually mention that it is iPad compatible but you'd think it was as it says it works with iPhone4.

So anyone have any idea what is going on here AND I why are Kensington not selling an iPad cable???

(On a positive not this cable is very well made and if you have an iPhone 4 then you may be a happy camper - sure you can get cables for $5 but this one looks like it will last a long time and as noted by other folks the cable is actually braided in a nice kind of cloth material.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.