Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:19 PM   #1
yearofthe
macrumors regular

This, iPad, or MBP?

I just got an iMac 21.5", so I need something portable when I'm out, or just lazy to get out of bed. My needs will be; casual web-browsing, E-mail, probably play some old classic ps1 games and NES (i.e. Mario & Zelda), Old-school Sims games and probably Roller Coaster Tycoon (or Portal). I will do a lot of writing and research since I really hate doing that on a big screen (iMac). The disc-drive? I'm not worried about that. I can share with this desktop. I may play some TV shows and will play A LOT of music. I want a perfect laptop. Not one that will have a lot of accessory's I won't be needing since I already have a Mac computer. Also, I plan on getting the iPhone on Verizon, so that may kill me from the iPad. What is my primary reason for asking this? MBA has the SSD, but the MBP has the battery (but with the SDD is just to expensive.)
Old Jan 20, 2011, 08:32 PM   #2
AMDGAMER
macrumors 6502

I have both and like the pro and the air for different reasons, but the air is pretty sweet for its size.
AMDGAMER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:36 PM   #3
richard371
macrumors 65816

I have the imac 24 for all the hardcore stuff. I love my 11.6 base model. I take it everywhere. Use it on the couch at home, can, meetings at work, etc. I had the ipad but returned it do to the 256mb ram, limited apps etc. The air isn't much bigger and is a full blown computer and fast at that. Full keyboard is a bonus. When I need 3g i use the bluetooth tethering to my iphone 4 which is faster then the ipad 3g due to the upload speed.
richard371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:16 AM   #4
flatfoot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearofthe View Post
I just got an iMac 21.5", so I need something portable when I'm out, or just lazy to get out of bed. My needs will be; casual web-browsing, E-mail, probably play some old classic ps1 games and NES (i.e. Mario & Zelda), Old-school Sims games and probably Roller Coaster Tycoon (or Portal). I will do a lot of writing and research since I really hate doing that on a big screen (iMac). The disc-drive? I'm not worried about that. I can share with this desktop. I may play some TV shows and will play A LOT of music. I want a perfect laptop. Not one that will have a lot of accessory's I won't be needing since I already have a Mac computer. Also, I plan on getting the iPhone on Verizon, so that may kill me from the iPad. What is my primary reason for asking this? MBA has the SSD, but the MBP has the battery (but with the SDD is just to expensive.)
I use my MBA11 for exactly what you are describing.
flatfoot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:18 AM   #5
iPhoneCollector
Banned

the ipad is not the right thing for you as you pointed out yourself. i'd say go for the air, its awesome.
iPhoneCollector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:29 AM   #6
talmy
macrumors 68040

We've got all three here. My wife has an 11" base Air and an iPad. She was thrilled with the iPad until she got the Air. Forget the iPad for writing. I've got an Aluminum MacBook (equivalent to 13" MacBook Pro). It's much faster than her Air, and I need the performance (lots of video processing and engineering CAD software), but otherwise I'm envious.

So for what you want, get the Air.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air