Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yearofthe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Earth
I just got an iMac 21.5", so I need something portable when I'm out, or just lazy to get out of bed. My needs will be; casual web-browsing, E-mail, probably play some old classic ps1 games and NES (i.e. Mario & Zelda), Old-school Sims games and probably Roller Coaster Tycoon (or Portal). I will do a lot of writing and research since I really hate doing that on a big screen (iMac). The disc-drive? I'm not worried about that. I can share with this desktop. I may play some TV shows and will play A LOT of music. I want a perfect laptop. Not one that will have a lot of accessory's I won't be needing since I already have a Mac computer. Also, I plan on getting the iPhone on Verizon, so that may kill me from the iPad. What is my primary reason for asking this? MBA has the SSD, but the MBP has the battery (but with the SDD is just to expensive.)

AMDGAMER

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
I have both and like the pro and the air for different reasons, but the air is pretty sweet for its size.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have the imac 24 for all the hardcore stuff. I love my 11.6 base model. I take it everywhere. Use it on the couch at home, can, meetings at work, etc. I had the ipad but returned it do to the 256mb ram, limited apps etc. The air isn't much bigger and is a full blown computer and fast at that. Full keyboard is a bonus. When I need 3g i use the bluetooth tethering to my iphone 4 which is faster then the ipad 3g due to the upload speed.

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
I just got an iMac 21.5", so I need something portable when I'm out, or just lazy to get out of bed. My needs will be; casual web-browsing, E-mail, probably play some old classic ps1 games and NES (i.e. Mario & Zelda), Old-school Sims games and probably Roller Coaster Tycoon (or Portal). I will do a lot of writing and research since I really hate doing that on a big screen (iMac). The disc-drive? I'm not worried about that. I can share with this desktop. I may play some TV shows and will play A LOT of music. I want a perfect laptop. Not one that will have a lot of accessory's I won't be needing since I already have a Mac computer. Also, I plan on getting the iPhone on Verizon, so that may kill me from the iPad. What is my primary reason for asking this? MBA has the SSD, but the MBP has the battery (but with the SDD is just to expensive.)

I use my MBA11 for exactly what you are describing.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
We've got all three here. My wife has an 11" base Air and an iPad. She was thrilled with the iPad until she got the Air. Forget the iPad for writing. I've got an Aluminum MacBook (equivalent to 13" MacBook Pro). It's much faster than her Air, and I need the performance (lots of video processing and engineering CAD software), but otherwise I'm envious.

So for what you want, get the Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.