Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2010
Woo. Got it working. Can anyone tell me how to add videos from my computer to XMBC though?

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
^Here's the way that I was able to easily do it a few minutes ago. There could be better ways, but this was the one I figured out on my own. Also, I have nomute installed, and when switch is on mute/lock, XBMC won't play audio. Not a big deal since it seems it can only play horizontally(the only way I'd use it anyway).

1) Create a folder in var/mobile. I called mine Videos. I used iPhone Explorer to create the folder and drop files into here.

2) In XBMC, I went to Videos, then clicked add source. Afterwards, click browse. If you select or click "Home folder" it shows that it's the var/mobile directory. Go find your folder and click OK. Label your source, then click OK again.

Your videos should show up and play just as well as on your computer.

I've uploaded two 720p MKV files onto my iPad this way, and I've had interesting results. The first file was 300ish MB file of Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The file played beautifully and lag free, HOWEVER subs didn't show up. Second, XBMC crashed about a couple minutes into the video after I tried to play with the sub options. After opening the app again and fast forwarding to find my same place in the video it crashed again. I'm new to XBMC, so I'm sure I just don't know what I'm doing and it can be figured out.

EDIT/ Apparently XBMC doesn't support these types of subs. It requires you to have a separate file for it in the same directory. /EDIT

I also uploaded the season finale of Doctor Who Season 5, and it played for several minutes without crashing. I also fast forwarded it without crashing. It's still playing right now and looks amazing. It's way better than the sorry lower res AVI files I've been watching via Cinexplayer. I'll also try uploading some other anime and try my luck.

All in all, I think this is pretty cool. I'm gonna visit my mom this weekend install it on her ATV2 and see if I can figure out how to get it to play nice with her MBP or my sister's iMac.

Last edited:

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I've got XBMC on both my Mac and on my iPad. And I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to point the iPad's XBMC in the direction of a directory on my Mac.

I've already read the XBMC Wiki entry on iOS usage, but really am not following along.

Both the iPad and Mac are on the same wifi network, obviously.

Can someone explain it to me, like I'm a 10 year-old. Please?

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
I think this is a complete waste of time, totally non ussr friendly.
go back to the drawing board boys and girls!

:mad: Get lost, troll.
It's a port of a 10-foot user interface on a 10" screen. Of course it's not user friendly.
If anything, this opens many doors to having media centers on our mobile devices (aka playing any filetype we want!). I'm sure someone out there is dev'ing a touchscreen skin for XBMC as we speak. :)

edit: Just installed it on my iPhone 4. While it had somewhat of a learning curve to figure out the gestures, it's not bad at all to use.
Best of all, my 720p media on my main XBMC box (connected to my TV) is SMB shared to my iPhone now! Plays without stutter. I'm amazed at this little device.

Last edited:

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
This is pretty freaking awesome if you already know how to use XBMC.

I already have samba shares set up for XBMC on a number of platforms, and it works just the same on the iPad. (I still need to figure out some of the gestures but it's been pretty intuitive.)

I'm watching 720p television episodes in under five minutes.

The main advantage I see to this over Air Video is the library/database scraping (plus all the other UI and media mgmt features of xbmc). Well, and no need to run a server app. I'm impressed.

flounder21

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2008
The South
nineohtoo... how are you able to see the zip files through the add source when i try to add other repos such as bluecop? Thx in advance
David

pcunite

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
I can't get XBMC to load .iso's from my samba share using the iPad v1. The movie starts and the exits.

gochi

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
Isn't this the same thing as vlcstream? I am really confused as to what this program enables a user to do.

Someone, elaborate.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Isn't this the same thing as vlcstream? I am really confused as to what this program enables a user to do.

Someone, elaborate.

This program ennables you to view a vast number of video file types either storred on your iOS device or streamed from a network source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.