Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1
tallyho
macrumors 6502a

XBMC on ATV2 ... BBC iPlayer?

I have no experience with XBMC (I did have Boxee on my first gen ATV)

However, given today's news about XBMC running on ATV2... will this allow this iPlayer plugin to work on ATV2:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/

If so I'm going to buy an ATV2! If not...I'm not.
tallyho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:23 AM   #2
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
I have no experience with XBMC (I did have Boxee on my first gen ATV)

However, given today's news about XBMC running on ATV2... will this allow this iPlayer plugin to work on ATV2:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/

If so I'm going to buy an ATV2! If not...I'm not.
I just wondered the same thing. So I installed xbmc and downloaded that plugin, installed it via SSH. I can look through all the BBC programs, but when I select one to watch it gives me a streaming error.

Hopefully the iPlayer plugin devs can fix this with an update to their plugin.

I have tried using iPlayer through PLEX as well, doesn't work yet. So now there are two possible solutions for getting iPlayer on the new Apple TV, none of which work currently unfortunately.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:32 AM   #3
tallyho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
I can look through all the BBC programs, but when I select one to watch it gives me a streaming error.

Hopefully the iPlayer plugin devs can fix this with an update to their plugin.
If you're getting a streaming error it's probably the SWF verification kicking in. The documentation for the plugin says that it requires a "very new" version of XBMC, presumably with the libRTMP functionality mentioned in the credits at the bottom of the plugin documentation. Looks like it could work though in time...

Of course if Apple opens an official App store for the ATV we may get catch-up apps for iPlayer/iTV player/4od/demandFive etc. That would massively increase demand for the ATV, I think!
tallyho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:40 AM   #4
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyho View Post
If you're getting a streaming error it's probably the SWF verification kicking in. The documentation for the plugin says that it requires a "very new" version of XBMC, presumably with the libRTMP functionality mentioned in the credits at the bottom of the plugin documentation. Looks like it could work though in time...

Of course if Apple opens an official App store for the ATV we may get catch-up apps for iPlayer/iTV player/4od/demandFive etc. That would massively increase demand for the ATV, I think!
Agreed, an App Store for the Apple TV would be amazing. I'm hoping for a release in 2011 and maybe an announcement when iPad 2 gets announced.

I have asked over in the xbmc forum and librtmp came up as well, so I'm hoping it is librtmp and that it can be fixed maybe in the next version of xbmc for Apple TV!

EDIT: Also just tried installing the tvcatchup plugin with similar results - can see lists of all the shows but none of them start playing.

Last edited by fabian9; Jan 21, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
fabian9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
mikeyl111
macrumors newbie

@fabian9

I've just installed XBMC on my AppleTV, but I have no idea how you install plugins. I have the plug in file for iPlayer downloaded, how do you install this?

Thanks
mikeyl111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:53 AM   #6
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyl111 View Post
@fabian9

I've just installed XBMC on my AppleTV, but I have no idea how you install plugins. I have the plug in file for iPlayer downloaded, how do you install this?

Thanks
I did it using cyberduck and SSHing into the apple TV. Then moved the folder (rename the to folder plugin.video.iplayer) to

root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

Then just launch XBMC on the Apple TV and the addon is installed.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting your results, Fabian.

I wanted to try and use XBMC on my ATV2 to watch network shows from CBS, NBC, etc (there are xbmc plugins for those). Could be a cable-Tv replacement for me. But if the shows don't actually stream, then it's a no-go.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2011, 03:58 AM   #8
nigels0
macrumors member

Hi,

I put the iplayer folder (renamed) in that location: root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

restarted XBMC - but I can't find the plugin. Do I need to install something from the XBMC screens or something?
nigels0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:58 AM   #9
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigels0 View Post
Hi,

I put the iplayer folder (renamed) in that location: root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

restarted XBMC - but I can't find the plugin. Do I need to install something from the XBMC screens or something?
Make sure you rename it to plugin.video.iplayer, it's case sensitive… that's the only thing I can think of!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:27 PM   #10
xnetdude
macrumors newbie

Cool Installed but wont play :-(

Hi guys,

Live in the UK and have jailbroken ATV2 4.2 (which is the 4.3 release as per March 2011) using seas0npass (tethered) and installed XMBC without problems.

Installed BBC iplayer addon and all looks great until I come to actually view a program. It lets me select a program from the menu (showing a nice thumbnail) and says spooling (or similar) and then crashes out back to the main apple TV menu.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

James.:confused
xnetdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:36 PM   #11
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetdude View Post
Hi guys,

Live in the UK and have jailbroken ATV2 4.2 (which is the 4.3 release as per March 2011) using seas0npass (tethered) and installed XMBC without problems.

Installed BBC iplayer addon and all looks great until I come to actually view a program. It lets me select a program from the menu (showing a nice thumbnail) and says spooling (or similar) and then crashes out back to the main apple TV menu.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

This is probably why.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:46 PM   #12
xnetdude
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Thanks but darn typical as this is my first jailbreak device. Have to wait until it's all settled down with this new release of the iOS I guess.

Cheers.
xnetdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:47 PM   #13
fabian9
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Yup, same thing here. tvcatchup also doesn't work, nor does streaming video from my NAS. We'll probably have to wait until XBMC is updated, or downgrade back to the previous version.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:00 PM   #14
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
Quote:
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Yeap..as Diode linked, XBMC need an update to work on 4.2, duw to some API changes.
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 07:40 AM   #15
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian9 View Post
I did it using cyberduck and SSHing into the apple TV. Then moved the folder (rename the to folder plugin.video.iplayer) to

root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

Then just launch XBMC on the Apple TV and the addon is installed.
i am in the process of trying to do as above, is there any chance of a step by step instructions my computer knowledge is really being tested today trying to sort out my apple TV 2.

Thanks in advance
Mr-Kerrse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2011, 11:39 AM   #16
Mr-Kerrse
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Kerrse View Post
i am in the process of trying to do as above, is there any chance of a step by step instructions my computer knowledge is really being tested today trying to sort out my apple TV 2.

Thanks in advance

solved it myself

http://support.firecore.com/entries/...a-ssh-and-sftp
Mr-Kerrse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:57 PM   #17
Scuby
macrumors regular

Can't see any more recent posts on MR about this... Anyone know if it's possible to get iPlayer working on the AppleTV 2 yet?

Cheers,

David
Scuby is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater