Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I have no experience with XBMC (I did have Boxee on my first gen ATV)

However, given today's news about XBMC running on ATV2... will this allow this iPlayer plugin to work on ATV2:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/

If so I'm going to buy an ATV2! If not...I'm not.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
I have no experience with XBMC (I did have Boxee on my first gen ATV)

However, given today's news about XBMC running on ATV2... will this allow this iPlayer plugin to work on ATV2:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayerv2/

If so I'm going to buy an ATV2! If not...I'm not.

I just wondered the same thing. So I installed xbmc and downloaded that plugin, installed it via SSH. I can look through all the BBC programs, but when I select one to watch it gives me a streaming error.

Hopefully the iPlayer plugin devs can fix this with an update to their plugin.

I have tried using iPlayer through PLEX as well, doesn't work yet. So now there are two possible solutions for getting iPlayer on the new Apple TV, none of which work currently unfortunately.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I can look through all the BBC programs, but when I select one to watch it gives me a streaming error.

Hopefully the iPlayer plugin devs can fix this with an update to their plugin.
If you're getting a streaming error it's probably the SWF verification kicking in. The documentation for the plugin says that it requires a "very new" version of XBMC, presumably with the libRTMP functionality mentioned in the credits at the bottom of the plugin documentation. Looks like it could work though in time...

Of course if Apple opens an official App store for the ATV we may get catch-up apps for iPlayer/iTV player/4od/demandFive etc. That would massively increase demand for the ATV, I think!

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
If you're getting a streaming error it's probably the SWF verification kicking in. The documentation for the plugin says that it requires a "very new" version of XBMC, presumably with the libRTMP functionality mentioned in the credits at the bottom of the plugin documentation. Looks like it could work though in time...

Of course if Apple opens an official App store for the ATV we may get catch-up apps for iPlayer/iTV player/4od/demandFive etc. That would massively increase demand for the ATV, I think!

Agreed, an App Store for the Apple TV would be amazing. I'm hoping for a release in 2011 and maybe an announcement when iPad 2 gets announced.

I have asked over in the xbmc forum and librtmp came up as well, so I'm hoping it is librtmp and that it can be fixed maybe in the next version of xbmc for Apple TV!

EDIT: Also just tried installing the tvcatchup plugin with similar results - can see lists of all the shows but none of them start playing.

Last edited:

mikeyl111

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
@fabian9

I've just installed XBMC on my AppleTV, but I have no idea how you install plugins. I have the plug in file for iPlayer downloaded, how do you install this?

Thanks

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
@fabian9

I've just installed XBMC on my AppleTV, but I have no idea how you install plugins. I have the plug in file for iPlayer downloaded, how do you install this?

Thanks

I did it using cyberduck and SSHing into the apple TV. Then moved the folder (rename the to folder plugin.video.iplayer) to

root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

Then just launch XBMC on the Apple TV and the addon is installed. :)

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Thanks for posting your results, Fabian.

I wanted to try and use XBMC on my ATV2 to watch network shows from CBS, NBC, etc (there are xbmc plugins for those). Could be a cable-Tv replacement for me. But if the shows don't actually stream, then it's a no-go.

nigels0

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Hi,

I put the iplayer folder (renamed) in that location: root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

restarted XBMC - but I can't find the plugin. Do I need to install something from the XBMC screens or something?

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Hi,

I put the iplayer folder (renamed) in that location: root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

restarted XBMC - but I can't find the plugin. Do I need to install something from the XBMC screens or something?

Make sure you rename it to plugin.video.iplayer, it's case sensitive… that's the only thing I can think of!

xnetdude

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Installed but wont play :-(

Hi guys,

Live in the UK and have jailbroken ATV2 4.2 (which is the 4.3 release as per March 2011) using seas0npass (tethered) and installed XMBC without problems.

Installed BBC iplayer addon and all looks great until I come to actually view a program. It lets me select a program from the menu (showing a nice thumbnail) and says spooling (or similar) and then crashes out back to the main apple TV menu.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

James.:confused

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Hi guys,

Live in the UK and have jailbroken ATV2 4.2 (which is the 4.3 release as per March 2011) using seas0npass (tethered) and installed XMBC without problems.

Installed BBC iplayer addon and all looks great until I come to actually view a program. It lets me select a program from the menu (showing a nice thumbnail) and says spooling (or similar) and then crashes out back to the main apple TV menu.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

This is probably why.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Yup, same thing here. tvcatchup also doesn't work, nor does streaming video from my NAS. We'll probably have to wait until XBMC is updated, or downgrade back to the previous version.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hi guys,

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Yeap..as Diode linked, XBMC need an update to work on 4.2, duw to some API changes.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I did it using cyberduck and SSHing into the apple TV. Then moved the folder (rename the to folder plugin.video.iplayer) to

root/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons

Then just launch XBMC on the Apple TV and the addon is installed. :)

i am in the process of trying to do as above, is there any chance of a step by step instructions my computer knowledge is really being tested today trying to sort out my apple TV 2.

Thanks in advance

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Can't see any more recent posts on MR about this... Anyone know if it's possible to get iPlayer working on the AppleTV 2 yet?

Cheers,

David

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.