Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
So I am currently using an ATT iPhone 4 unlocked using ultrasn0w. I am on 4.1 and baseband version 1.59.
Post the 4.2 update there has been talk of a bunch of different details about an untethered jailbreak etc for the iPhone 4.
I was wondering, is there a way I could update from 4.1 without upgrading my baseband version, getting an untethered jailbreak and thus being able to use the Ultrasn0w unlock?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So I am currently using an ATT iPhone 4 unlocked using ultrasn0w. I am on 4.1 and baseband version 1.59.
Post the 4.2 update there has been talk of a bunch of different details about an untethered jailbreak etc for the iPhone 4.
I was wondering, is there a way I could update from 4.1 without upgrading my baseband version, getting an untethered jailbreak and thus being able to use the Ultrasn0w unlock?

It is hard to answer your question at this time, due to the fact that is not really an stable "Untethered" JB for 4.2.1 yet, the current beta avaliable is a bit messy and required you to use a 4.2B3 and have its shshs saved. You need to wait until the official untethred JB tool is release and may be offer a way to keep your baseband.

Steven Jobson

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Don't say "iPhone 4 network" to try to sound smart.

Yes, you can preserve your baseband with TinyUmbrella

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
well mister, TinyUmbrella doesnt work on 4.2

It does, but you have to be very careful. I have 4.2.1 with baseband 01.59.00 working on my iPhone4, and followed this procedure:

0) Start with an iPhone4 with baseband 01.59.00
1) Make sure you have SHSH keys for 4.1, 4.2.1, and if you want to untether, 4.2b3.
2) Set your /etc/hosts to either use Cydia or use TinyUmbrella's TSS server
3) Put your iPhone in DFU mode
4) use iTunes to RESTORE (option-restore) to factory 4.1
5) When this completes, you will have an error because the baseband update failed (you want this) ... Use TinyUmbrella to "Exit Restore". Phone will boot up.
6) Make sure /etc/hosts is still either pointed to Cydia or your TinyUmbrella TSS server
7) use iTunes to UPGRADE (not restore!) to factory 4.2.1 (just click upgrade, or option-upgrade if you have the IPSW already saved).
8) This will error out again because the baseband did not upgrade (again, you want this!), TinyUmbrella will be able to "Exit Recovery" as long as you used "Upgrade" and not "Restore"
8) Use Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 to Jailbreak your phone (tethered) (even if you plan to untether, you must do the tethered jailbreak first).

If you plan to continue tethered
9) Use Redsn0w to boot your phone tethered

If you plan to continue untethered
9) If you plan to use Skype, install Skype now, the JB Monte hack needs to be installed after Skype otherwise Skype will not work (you can reinstall the JB Monte later on if you install skype later).
10) Uncheck "Install Cydia" in Redsn0w.
11) Use Redsn0w to install the "Jailbreak Monte" which requires the 4.2b3 SHSH keys and IPSW. If you are not a registered developer, this will require piracy, so if you'd like to do this without pirating, you will need to sign up and pay to be an iPhone developer.

Good Luck!

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
I'd wait for the final version for untethered 4.2 before upgrading. It's not like 4.2 offers you a lot more benefits. Even 4.0 -> 4.2 doesn't offer much

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Wow. Thanks for the helpful instructions.
I had been wondering if there was a way to keep 1.59 and use 4.2.1. I'm happy with 4.1, but I'll keep this in mind if I decide I really want 4.2.1.

It does, but you have to be very careful. I have 4.2.1 with baseband 01.59.00 working on my iPhone4, and followed this procedure:

1) Make sure you have SHSH keys for 4.1, 4.2.1, and if you want to untether, 4.2b3.
5) When this completes, you will have an error because the baseband update failed (you want this) ... Use TinyUmbrella to "Exit Restore". Phone will boot up.
6) Make sure /etc/hosts is still either pointed to Cydia or your TinyUmbrella TSS server
7) use iTunes to UPGRADE (not restore!) to factory 4.2.1 (just click upgrade, or option-upgrade if you have the IPSW already saved).
8) This will error out again because the baseband did not upgrade (again, you want this!), TinyUmbrella will be able to "Exit Recovery" as long as you used "Upgrade" and not "Restore"
8) Use Redsn0w 0.9.7b6 to Jailbreak your phone (tethered) (even if you plan to untether, you must do the tethered jailbreak first).

9) If you plan to use Skype, install Skype now, the JB Monte hack needs to be installed after Skype otherwise Skype will not work (you can reinstall the JB Monte later on if you install skype later).
11) Use Redsn0w to install the "Jailbreak Monte" which requires the 4.2b3 SHSH keys and IPSW. If you are not a registered developer, this will require piracy, so if you'd like to do this without pirating, you will need to sign up and pay to be an iPhone developer.

Good Luck!

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Good Luck!

Steps 0,1,2,3,4,5 are all redundant since the op is already on 4.1 with 1.59 baseband.

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Steps 0,1,2,3,4,5 are all redundant since the op is already on 4.1 with 1.59 baseband.

Not necessarily.

1) It's entirely possible to be running 4.1 jailbroken without your SHSH keys saved.
2) Some people run into problems installing the 4.2.1 jailbreak after upgrading from 4.1 Jailbroken to 4.2.1. It's probably best to just re-install clean

If it works for you skipping 0-5, great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.