Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julianne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2002
NL / USA
Hi,

I have searched here and on apple.com for an answer but have yet to find one.

I have a MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz
Boot ROM: MBP12.0061.B03
SMC: 1.5f10
Mac OS X 10.6.6 (10J567)
I have all the latest updates.

Ok here is the problem. 2 days ago my original T style magsafe power broke. the cable that comes out of the box melted and there where exposed wires and sparks. So, I had to get a new one I now have the L style, while it will charge. It only starts working and keep charging if
1. the notebook is powered off and then turned on
2. in suspend/sleep mode and then awakened

If I disconnect the power while on and try to plug it back in it does not see it and will not charge. If I close the lid and put the notebook in sleep/suspended mode then just like that the light turns on on the magsafe without having to do anything and then I can wake it from sleep/suspend mode and it will keep charging or stay lit green.

I have read many people saying they cant get it to work at all..but I guess I am lucky that it does work when the notebook is turned off or if i put it to sleep then it will charge and keep charging until the cable is disconnected. Then to get it to work again I have to either sleep/suspend it or shut down.

I have installed the SMC update and Firmwares that I could. I have also done the command option P R hold til loud chime, also I have shut down pulled power and battery hold power button 10 seconds plug all back in and start up and finally I have done the hold the Power button til loud boom noise and restart 2x. None of these have helped me..

I am wanting any other advice PLEASE.. or is it just cuz I have too old of a notebook. :(

And if anyone has my notebook and does have it working please share your setup!

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I have that issue, not on the L style but the original T style.

It seems to be a adapter issue cause I have 2 T style and the other T doesn't have the "not charging".

Andrew7724

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
my problem is,
the T chargers work, but not the L ones.

sometimes the L ones work too though.. it is very inconsistent.
a little annoying. if anyone has answers, please let us know!

thanks! : )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.