Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pink tree

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2008
london
A man in London said July

Assistant in London Apple Store said 'soon, maybe around July' but that was nearly 2 months ago. For a moment, I got ridiculously excited. Now I am just waiting, not very patiently, to spend my money…

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
It was rumored that MPs would be updated in late July or early August, possibly with a redesign.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I don't know, but I hope soon. These reports out of benches where the MBP and iMac;s beat the MP on certain benches really sticks in my craw for some reason. In my mind the "supposed" performance leader should always get the newest speed updates first and then trickle down.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009
I don't know, but I hope soon. These reports out of benches where the MBP and iMac;s beat the MP on certain benches really sticks in my craw for some reason. In my mind the "supposed" performance leader should always get the newest speed updates first and then trickle down.

Those speed test do not mention what type of hard drive was used. They did a test back when the iMacs were first released and made such a big deal out of the iMac beating the MAc Pro. But here's why, the iMac had the SSD in it, the Mac Pro did not. That makes all the difference in the world. I wouldn't doubt thats the same reason it happened this time.

The other thing is, the iMac has the newer graphics card, the article mentioned that they were going to update the graphics card in the Mac Pro and retest. Those are the test results you should compare, and we also need to find out if any SSD's were used. Without those two things, you cant compare the results.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I know, I know, but it still reminds me of how the MP tends to be last in line for new technology.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I know, I know, but it still reminds me of how the MP tends to be last in line for new technology.

:confused: As far as processor technology the Mac Pro has been first until Intel switched away from the high-end coming first with Sandy Bridge.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2009

I hear you, I think the MP last longer than an iMac or Macbook so apple does't update it as often. makes me feel better too since I bought a 2010, when the new one comes out it makes me feel old and outdated :)

Marcush1286

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2011
Count on 2012 to be safe.. February/March possibly since the E5 xeons won't be available until near to the end of 2011, then factor in the amount of time to take to build the machines. I stand correct on my prediction of February or March of next year.

50/50 chance...

SamuraiArtGuy

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Eastern Panhandle, WV, USA

Well, as a Designer, I do remember fondly the days when the Tower Macs would get the shiny, and bragging rights first. But that was long ago and those days are gone in this era of iThing Ascendant, and Apple's focus is on the vast consumer market.

MacRumors Buyer's Guide. - Mac Pro

Considering that it's been over 420 days since the last Mac Pro update, the other Mac products have all gone through a revision cycle, some TWO since then.. It's likely the MB Pro will get a bump too before the next MP cycle, the last cycle for the MP was over 510 days, abut a year and a half. Our next best guess, Spring 2012 would be consistent.

But yeah. I feel dissed too. :cool:

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
50/50 chance...
Announcement or actually shipping?

I ask, as it's looking *possible* for an announcement later this year (assumes all LGA2011 parts ship to vendors simultaneously), but probably not a shipping product from the currently available information on SB E5's.

Unfortunately, they may not actually release on Nov. 15 as expected, as that date is actually for i7 variants according to some of the sources (and past history has shown the Xeons release later than the i7 variants on the same socket, as was the case with LGA1366 parts). :(

Personally, I'm hoping that they will release simultaneously this time around, as they're already late (pushed from Q3 to Q4 2011). But realistically, the Xeon variants (SP and DP models), may not ship to vendors until Q1 2012.

Metal Dice

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2009
Denmark
I have a question.
Is Apple prepared to let their pro machine, go through the entire year of 2011, without having their, heavily marketed, Thunderbolt technology?

I know that the Mac Pro is capable of high speed data transfers, however it seems like Apple is promoting Thunderbolt as their, the-future-is-now technology. This makes me wonder, would Apple really let their pro machine go through this?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
I have a question.
Is Apple prepared to let their pro machine, go through the entire year of 2011, without having their, heavily marketed, Thunderbolt technology?

I know that the Mac Pro is capable of high speed data transfers, however it seems like Apple is promoting Thunderbolt as their, the-future-is-now technology. This makes me wonder, would Apple really let their pro machine go through this?

And what do you suggest they do without... CPUs or a chipset to upgrade to yet?

It's not late until the 15th November! (I.e. Actual launch :p)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I have a question.
Thunderbolt on a desktop with slots isn't a necessity. It does however, offer convenience and potentially reduced costs by allowing peripherals to be shared between a laptop and desktop without a bridge device needed in between (i.e. eSATA from the MP to a small box that includes a TB port for connecting to peripheral devices the size of a USB hub or so).

For example, lets say we're talking about video editors that do field work, and edit back in the office. For such cases, recording RAW camera data to a Thunderbolt storage device, such as the Promise Pegasus via the laptop, then connect the Pegasus to the MP for editing could save time (still a good idea to make a backup before editing though).

In Apple's case however, there's 2 things to consider IMO:
  1. They've helped develop Thunderbolt
  2. They like uniformity whenever possible/applicable as they see it (applicable for example = HDMI is only found in the Mini)
So as a result, there's a strong chance there will be a Thunderbolt port on the next MP IMO (just need to get DP data to the TB chip, which is technically possible without "breaking the bank" in terms of production costs).

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

In terms of why there hasn't been a new model yet?

Or do you mean in terms why they would/wouldn't put Thunderbolt on the next MP?

And what do you suggest they do without... CPUs or a chipset to upgrade to yet?

It's not late until the 15th November! (I.e. Actual launch :p)
Unfortunately, Nov. 15th may not include the Xeons (could wait for PCIe 3.0 compliance approval before they ship the DP Xeons, which is important for that particular segment), as the information available is indicating it's actually for the LGA2011 i7's (Xeons were later than the i7 variants of LGA1366 if you recall). :eek: ;)

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Unfortunately, Nov. 15th may not include the Xeons (could wait for PCIe 3.0 compliance approval before they ship the DP Xeons, which is important for that particular segment), as the information available is indicating it's actually for the LGA2011 i7's (Xeons were later than the i7 variants of LGA1366 if you recall). :eek: ;)

Yea, well, that delay for the Xeons timed it perfectly for my purchase :p

I'm getting itchy fingers for a W3680 and a 6870 :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.