Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stagmeister

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
I have a 2008 black MacBook which I love, and it has a webcam which is fabulous. However, when I am at home, I often am working with my laptop hooked up to an external monitor, and the computer itself closed within my desk--so it is acting like a desktop. The main drawback to this setup is that obviously the webcam won't work when the screen is closed. Is there an app which I can use that will turn the iPhone into a webcam, recognized by the computer as such, and transfers the video to the computer via bluetooth? That way I could for example use Google talk video while sitting at my "desktop-ized" laptop computer, using my iPhone as a webcam. I've looked on the app store and there are a billion apps that let you *watch* webcams, but nothing that turns your iphone into a webcam as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think Apple allows apps to use Bluetooth in that way. I know that there are apps out there that let one iPhone view another's camera over Bluetooth.

wfriction

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
An app called iWebcamera does that, but only via wifi.
Warning: the video feed through that app is very delayed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.