Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Ok, I like the ad but I call fowl on Facetime being in the ad.

AT&T does not allow Facetime on its network. It's total BS to show it in an ad that's about their network and to make it worse they show Facetime immediately before lowering the phone to show the AT&T logo behind the phone.

That's not cool at all. I pretty much consider that part of the ad a lie. I mean, how else are you supposed to interpret that other than to think AT&T has Facetime? They don't.

(And I'm only giving Verizon a pass here because they haven't announced yet if they'll allow Facetime. This will also apply to that half of the ad if they end up saying they don't support it.)

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
(And I'm only giving Verizon a pass here because they haven't announced yet if they'll allow Facetime. This will also apply to that half of the ad if they end up saying they don't support it.)

I'd be surprised if Verizon allows facetime over their network at launch, since Facetime is more reliant on network speed than coverage or reliability. That being said I agree the ad is misleading.

netvvork

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011

AT&T does not allow Facetime on its network. It's total BS to show it in an ad that's about their network and to make it worse they show Facetime immediately before lowering the phone to show the AT&T logo behind the phone.

That's not cool at all. I pretty much consider that part of the ad a lie. I mean, how else are you supposed to interpret that other than to think AT&T has Facetime? They don't.

good call.

alexhasfun28

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2009
in the southwest.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So true!

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wait, Verizon doesn't allow facetime over 3G either though?

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They should show what happens when a call comes in.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
And the parts where they only show ONE iPhone is the one that is on verizon because it probably would have been slower on the att one, so they didn't show them side by side for that moment.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010

Maybe it's on at&ts wifi network. :)

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver

They should show what happens when a call comes in.

Yep, except the Verizon one may be the only one that receives it... ;)

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
LOL - You know what? You just found the exact loophole their lawyers probably did.

I find it amusing that at&t considers those hotspots "part of their network," but you're right...they do think that!

Your probably right. Maybe it's a hint of things to come, although I doubt it.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
And the parts where they only show ONE iPhone is the one that is on verizon because it probably would have been slower on the att one, so they didn't show them side by side for that moment.

At 8 seconds it's the AT&T iPhone. Nice try. It'd actually be slower on Verizon but more likely to load.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
Yep, except the Verizon one may be the only one that receives it... ;)

Boom, roasted.

2 is definitely better than one. The facetime thing, let it go, it's just showing the capabilities of the phone. Honestly, a front facing camera was one of MacRumors biggest "I WANT IT NAU!!" cries and now that we have it, they better damn well show it off.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Two is better than one, but four is even better. Apple needs to get their head out of their butt and get it on the other 2 networks PRONTO. No more of this "but it's hard!" bs.

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

im sure the iphones in the commercial were using simulated images. it didnt matter which one they showed speed was the same. and i dont see why one would be slower than the other. its not like they were showing how data works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.